- 5 dead, at least 2 missing after floods in Texas, Kansas Updated: May-29-16 4:02 pm
HOUSTON - Central Texas authorities spotted a body during an aerial search Sunday, bringing the death toll from flooding the state to five.
- The Latest: Flood victim's body found near Austin Updated: May-29-16 3:53 pm
HOUSTON - The Latest on severe weather and flooding around the U.S. (all times local):
- Court blocks Texas execution set for this week Updated: May-29-16 12:46 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A man set for execution this week for the slaying of a 64-year-old suburban Dallas grandmother during a burglary of her home more than 18 years ago has won a reprieve.
- 153 homes in Bryan damaged by tornado Updated: May-27-16 10:44 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Latest on severe weather in the Plains and flooding in Texas following heavy rains (all times local):
- Towns in Texas, Arizona are battlegrounds in bathroom debate Updated: May-26-16 8:34 pm
HARROLD, Texas - An unlikely battleground over whether public schools must allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice is taking shape in two tiny towns in Texas and Arizona, neither of which currently enrolls anyone who is transgender.
- Mississippi gov intends to join transgender bathroom lawsuit Updated: May-26-16 7:11 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Gov. Phil Bryant said Thursday that he is planning for Mississippi to join 11 states in suing the Obama administration for telling U.S. public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- The Latest: Hood won't rep governor in bathroom lawsuit Updated: May-26-16 6:11 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Latest on Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant wanting to join other states in suing the federal government (all times local):
- 11 states sue over Obama's school transgender directive Updated: May-25-16 5:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas and 10 other states are suing the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- Former Texas Gov. Perry heading to West Virginia for events Updated: May-25-16 3:33 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry will headline a Charleston fundraiser for Senate President Bill Cole's Republican bid for West Virginia governor.
- Harris County death row inmate loses state court appeal Updated: May-25-16 12:11 pm
HOUSTON - The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has rejected an appeal from a man on death row for the fatal stabbing 25 years ago of a Houston-area man whose body was found inscribed with a swastika and initials of a skinhead group.
- The Latest: Winner in Texas education runoff thanks rival Updated: May-24-16 11:31 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Latest on a Texas education board race (all times local):
- The Latest: Ex-GOP lawmaker wins Railroad Commission runoff Updated: May-24-16 11:27 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Latest on Texas' primary runoff elections (all times local):
- Complaint alleges Texas charter schools abusing visa program Updated: May-24-16 6:38 pm
A complaint filed Tuesday with Texas education officials accuses a charter-school network of abusing a visa program to import large numbers of Turkish teachers and violating state and federal laws by paying them more than American teachers.
- Convicted killer in 1996 Kerrville slaying set to die Updated: May-23-16 4:27 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A convicted killer on death row for a January 1996 fatal robbery in the Texas Hill Country is set to die later this summer.
- Mexican-American textbook stirs cultural debate in Texas Updated: May-23-16 3:56 pm
HOUSTON - A textbook proposed to help teach the cultural history of Mexican-Americans in Texas public schools is under scrutiny by scholars, some of whom decry the effort as racist and not a reflection of serious academic study.
- Texas parents ask judge to block standardized test scores Updated: May-23-16 3:48 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A group of Texas parents want a judge to scrap results from a statewide standardized test that is under new scrutiny after a computer glitch this spring lost thousands of student answers.
- Ninth person dies following charter bus crash in South Texas Updated: May-20-16 11:32 pm
LAREDO, Texas - Officials say a ninth person has died after being injured in the crash of a charter bus in South Texas last weekend.
- Texas unemployment for April up slightly to 4.4 percent Updated: May-20-16 11:55 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas unemployment rate rose slightly in April to 4.4 percent, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.
- Texas City district prepares to take over La Marque schools Updated: May-20-16 11:41 am
TEXAS CITY, Texas - The Texas City Independent School District will soon have sole access to La Marque (luh-MARK') schools in annexation of the troubled neighboring district.
- Federal attorneys' conduct criticized in immigration case Updated: May-19-16 7:51 pm
HOUSTON - Using a mix of scathing language and movie quotes, a federal judge in Texas who had blocked President Barack Obama's immigration executive action ordered Thursday that Justice Department attorneys attend an ethics course, saying they misled him about whether the administration had begun implementing one of the proposals.
- Hunt drops nearly $18B buyout offer for Dallas-based Oncor Updated: May-19-16 12:17 pm
DALLAS - Dallas mogul Ray L. Hunt has withdrawn a nearly $18 billion buyout offer for the largest electricity utility in Texas but plans to pursue a new deal.
- Corpus Christi boil water order remains, disinfectant change Updated: May-18-16 9:52 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - A South Texas city dealing with a boil water order for nearly a week plans to change the disinfectant in the system in hopes of soon lifting the advisory.
- Frontier: Telecom takeover led to outages in 3 states Updated: May-18-16 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Frontier Communications blamed its takeover of another company for widespread phone, internet and television service outages in California, Texas and Florida at a legislative hearing Wednesday, saying Frontier inherited corrupt data in its $10.5 billion acquisition of certain Verizon businesses last month.
- Autopsy pending after woman in Texas jail dies Updated: May-18-16 7:38 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A black woman arrested following a car accident in Texas declined medical treatment after the wreck but died two weeks later after going into convulsions in jail, authorities said Wednesday.
- Special election runoff set for state House District 120 Updated: May-18-16 7:10 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Gov. Greg Abbott has set a special election runoff for Aug. 2 to fill the vacant, San Antonio-based Texas House seat of state Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon.