- Alabama House passes bill to create long-term care networks Updated: May-28-15 9:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House on Thursday passed a bill that would establish integrated care networks to allow more Medicaid recipients to stay in their homes instead of nursing homes.
- Time running out for lottery, casino bill Updated: May-28-15 5:26 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Time is about to run out for a lottery and casino bill in the Alabama Legislature.
- House committee kills Ala. bill banning LGBT discrimination Updated: May-27-15 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee on Wednesday canceled a vote on a bill that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- House committee kills Ala. bill banning LGBT discrimination Updated: May-27-15 8:59 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee has killed a bill that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Bentley swears in new Alabama 2-year college system board Updated: May-27-15 2:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley swore in members of a newly appointed two-year college system board created by legislation passed this session.
- AL governor, education board OK charter school commission Updated: May-26-15 8:44 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama State Board of Education confirmed a list of appointed nominees on Tuesday for the state's new charter school commission.
- Alabama House votes to block abortion clinics near schools Updated: May-26-15 6:56 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Abortion clinics would be prohibited near schools under a bill approved Tuesday by the Alabama House, legislation that would force one of the state's five abortion clinics to move or close.
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race Updated: May-21-15 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers have voted to join the "SEC primary" as southern states band together to try to get more attention from 2016 presidential hopefuls.
- Alabama's nearly $6B education budget nears final approval Updated: May-21-15 7:35 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's nearly $6 billion education budget cleared a series of hurdles Thursday and is now nearing final approval.
- Bentley signs Alabama prison overcrowding legislation Updated: May-21-15 7:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Thursday signed into law sweeping changes to sentencing and probation standards aimed at relieving severe overcrowding in the state prison system.
- Marsh: Religious freedom bills targeting gays likely dead Updated: May-21-15 1:46 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Republican leader of the Alabama Senate says he believes religious freedom bills that target gays and lesbians are likely dead for the session.
- Group rallies against Alabama abortion bills Updated: May-20-15 8:55 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A crowd of about 100 people rallied outside the Alabama Statehouse on Wednesday to protest legislation they say would close abortion clinics or attempt to outright ban most abortions.
- Ala. House committee approves Education Trust Fund budget Updated: May-19-15 7:54 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's second of two budgets made its way out of committee on Tuesday and will move on to the full House.
- Committee approves plan to remove BOE from charter schools Updated: May-19-15 6:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House Education Policy Committee approved a bill on Tuesday that would remove the Alabama State Board of Education from confirming a new charter school commission.
- Bill would cut Board of Education from charter school plan Updated: May-15-15 9:16 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama State Board of Education, having already suffered a sapping of power this legislative session, could soon be cut from confirming the state's new charter school commission.
- Alabama gambling bill prompts passionate testimony Updated: May-12-15 10:16 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gambling foes and proponents squared off in a public hearing Tuesday over whether a lottery and casinos would bring jobs and revenue, or corruption and vice to the state of Alabama.
- Alabama House delays votes on bills related to tax hikes Updated: May-12-15 9:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives on Tuesday delayed debate on proposed tax increases that have divided some Republican legislators, despite being backed by the GOP caucus.
- House committee approves oil tax change Updated: May-07-15 10:02 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A legislative committee on Thursday resurrected part of House Republicans' plan to solve the Alabama budget crisis a day after it was killed by GOP lawmakers.
- Alabama House approves 'Tim Tebow' bill Updated: May-07-15 3:53 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives voted Thursday to allow home-school students to play on public school sports teams and participate in school extracurricular activities.
- Republicans drop idea to furlough Ala state workers Updated: May-07-15 2:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Republicans in the Alabama House are backing off proposals to furlough state employees for two days and suspend longevity bonuses for a year.
- Lawmakers give Medal of Honor to Huntsville police officers Updated: May-07-15 2:34 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Legislature is honoring two Huntsville police officers for extraordinary courage in the line of duty.
- Alabama bill would let ministers refuse same-sex marriages Updated: May-06-15 10:04 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill working its way through the Alabama Legislature would allow probate judges and ministers to refuse to marry same-sex couples on religious grounds.
- Committee approves payday loan regulation Updated: May-06-15 8:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee on Wednesday approved new restrictions on payday loans that short-term lenders can offer to consumers in need of quick cash.
- Bentley names board members to oversee 2-year college system Updated: May-06-15 8:05 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Wednesday appointed members to a new board to oversee the two-year college system.
- Opponents of 'religious freedom' bill warn of discrimination Updated: May-06-15 7:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Opponents of a bill that would allow Alabama probate judges and ministers to refuse to marry gay couples on religious grounds say the legislation could open the door to broader discrimination.