- Alabama Senate committee debates repealing Common Core Updated: Feb-04-16 8:18 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The debate over the state's education standards has begun again with a public hearing on a bill to repeal Common Core standards in Alabama public schools.
- Lawmakers begin 2016 session to familiar budget woes Updated: Feb-02-16 9:21 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers began the 2016 legislative session on Groundhog Day with familiar budget woes that could spell funding cuts for many state agencies.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night:
- Alabama teachers could get pay hike Updated: Jan-23-16 12:42 pm
DOTHAN, Alabama - Alabama senator Del Marsh says legislature is considering a raise for education employees with a performance-based model for teachers.
- Bentley not seeking tax increases; budget cuts anticipated Updated: Jan-14-16 7:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley spent much of 2015 battling with lawmakers over his proposed tax increases to avoid general fund budget cuts.
- Medicaid budget request brings debate and frustration Updated: Jan-13-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's Medicaid commissioner told lawmakers Wednesday that the agency will need an additional $156 million to maintain services next year, a funding request that caused lawmakers to criticize the expense of the health care program and its recipients.
- Republican lawmakers push lottery bill in upcoming session Updated: Jan-12-16 6:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Some Republican lawmakers say it's time Alabama considered a state lottery.
- Alabama prisons under 'stress' says commissioner Updated: Jan-12-16 3:39 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's prisons chief says said the state prison system is "under stress" because of aging facilities, low staffing and overcrowding.