- Firefighters move to protect Essex after town emptied Updated: Aug-28-15 11:35 pm
HELENA, Montana - Firefighters cut down trees and turned on sprinklers Friday after authorities emptied the community of Essex and turned back traffic where a wildfire had spread close to a highway along the southern edge of Glacier National Park.
- Authorities seek suspect in fatal hit-and-run collision Updated: Aug-28-15 9:43 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Authorities are looking for a driver suspected of fatally hitting a pedestrian and then fleeing the scene of the collision in Lame Deer, about 100 miles east of Billings.
- Woman killed in Somers car crash, officials investigating Updated: Aug-28-15 5:11 am
SOMERS, Montana - The Flathead County Sheriff's Office says an 85-year-old woman was killed in a car crash in Somers.
- Feds warns Montana it faces cutoff of abuse program funding Updated: Aug-26-15 7:31 pm
The federal government says it will strip Montana of a child abuse prevention grant if the state does not start providing the public with mandatory details about children who die from abuse and neglect.
- Montana Editorial Roundup Updated: Aug-26-15 7:22 pm
The Billings Gazette, Aug. 21, on health coverage for Montanans:
- 1 dies in collision between motorcycle, truck in west Helena Updated: Aug-25-15 5:43 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Highway Patrol is investigating a fiery collision between a motorcycle and pickup truck that killed the driver of the motorcycle.
- State transportation employee killed in roadside accident Updated: Aug-23-15 4:47 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - A Montana Department of Transportation employee has died in a work related accident in Missoula County.
- Rare fallen trees led to I-90 tragedy near Lookout Pass Updated: Aug-23-15 2:23 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - They please the eye, helping break up the monotonous miles that plague much of the U.S. interstate highway system.
- MHP: Drugs found at scene of crash that killed 3 Updated: Aug-20-15 1:33 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - The Montana Highway Patrol says drugs were found at the scene of a central Montana rollover crash that killed three teens and injured a fourth.
- Interstate 15 dedicated to fallen officer Joseph Dunn Updated: Aug-20-15 11:43 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - New signs along Interstate 15 have been installed to honor a fallen Cascade County deputy.
- City of Missoula wins second legal fight to buy water system Updated: Aug-20-15 5:08 am
MISSOULA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court has upheld a ruling that denied Carlyle Group's request to stop the valuation process of Mountain Water Co., which the city of Missoula is trying to take ownership of.
- Man killed when train hits vehicle west of Reed Point Updated: Aug-19-15 10:16 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The Montana Highway Patrol says a man was killed when his vehicle was hit by a train west of Reed Point.
- Montana court orders reconsideration of shaken-baby case Updated: Aug-19-15 6:17 pm
HELENA, Montana - A Missoula man convicted of shaking his 3-month-old son to death will get another chance to contest the verdict and his 40-year sentence.
- Montana Democrats retained their current state party leaders Updated: Aug-16-15 1:17 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - Montana Democrats have retained their current state party leaders.
- Court rules for man convicted in rape recantation case Updated: Aug-14-15 7:07 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court on Friday reversed a district judge who denied a new trial to a Missoula man after the 13 year-old boy who accused him of rape recanted his story.
- Court: Online companies must pay tax on booking fees Updated: Aug-13-15 12:20 pm
HELENA, Montana - Online travel companies such as Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz and Expedia must pay Montana's sales tax on lodging and car rentals for the fees they collect from customers who book through their websites, the Montana Supreme Court ruled.
- Court: Online companies must pay tax on booking fees Updated: Aug-13-15 8:49 am
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court has ruled that online travel companies such as Priceline and Expedia must pay the state's lodging and vehicle sales tax on the fees they collect from customers.
- Montana GOP claims misconduct in closed primary lawsuit Updated: Aug-12-15 4:59 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Republican Party filed a motion accusing the state attorney general's office of misconduct related to the party's lawsuit to close primary elections.
- The Latest: Wildfire evacuees begin to trickle back home Updated: Aug-06-15 7:04 pm
LAKEPORT, California - 3:50 p.m.
- Fatal crash near Cascade sparks small fire Updated: Aug-03-15 2:05 pm
CASCADE, Montana - A 66-year-old man died in a weekend rollover that sparked a small fire along Interstate 15 south of Cascade.
- Montana National Guard increases security Updated: Aug-02-15 5:53 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana National Guard is increasing security at its recruiting offices and armory facilities in response to the July 16 killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Highway Patrols in 5 states ramp up for Sturgis rally Updated: Jul-31-15 9:43 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Highway patrol troopers in the four states bordering western South Dakota are paying extra attention to traffic flocking to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which is expecting a huge influx of people for its 75th anniversary bash next week.
- Montana Supreme Court upholds 24/7 Sobriety Program Updated: Jul-30-15 7:34 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court upheld the state's 24/7 Sobriety Program in a ruling Thursday, saying charging associated fees for alcohol monitoring is not pretrial punishment in violation of the Constitution.
- Wyoming, Montana unsatisfied with federal sage grouse plan Updated: Jul-30-15 6:58 pm
HELENA, Montana - The governors of Wyoming and Montana say a federal plan to protect the greater sage grouse is far more restrictive than Western states' own programs to help the struggling species.