- The Latest: Beatty won't talk about potential federal job Updated: May-25-16 1:42 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Latest on Don Beatty becoming South Carolina's second black chief justice since Reconstruction (all times local):
- Beatty becomes South Carolina's 2nd black chief justice Updated: May-25-16 12:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Legislators have elected South Carolina's second black chief justice since Reconstruction.
- The Latest: Portrait to be unveiled of slain church pastor Updated: May-25-16 10:36 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Latest on a church shooting in Charleston about a year ago that left nine black members dead (all times local):
- House OKs $2B road borrowing bill liked by Senate and Haley Updated: May-24-16 6:35 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill that would borrow $2 billion to fix major highways and bridges in South Carolina may have only a short distance left to go.
- Abortion rights supporters call on Haley to veto bill Updated: May-24-16 2:26 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Abortion rights supporters are calling on Republican Gov. Nikki Haley to veto a bill banning most abortions in South Carolina past 19 weeks.
- Gambrell takes SC Senate seat of the late Billy O'Dell Updated: May-24-16 2:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate is back to its full 46 members after Anderson County Republican Mike Gambrell took his seat.
- Bill would require South Carolina cities to hold elections Updated: May-24-16 12:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Mayors and city council members could no longer win their office by default under legislation advancing to the Senate floor.
- GOP governors ask FCC to address illegal prison cellphones Updated: May-24-16 12:36 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Ten Republican governors want the Federal Communications Commission to give states more autonomy to apply technology that can stop prison inmates from using smuggled cellphones.
- Hit-and-Run leaves truck driver dead in Calhoun County Updated: May-24-16 9:12 am
GASTON, South Carolina - South Carolina Highway Patrol troopers are investigating a hit-and-run that left a truck driver dead in Calhoun County.
- Haley, GOP governors ask FCC to address prison cellphones Updated: May-24-16 9:02 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley is among 10 Republican governors urging the head of the Federal Communications Commission to give states more autonomy in fighting the issue of cellphone that inmates have illegally in prison.
- Advisers' forecast gives legislators no surplus for budget Updated: May-20-16 3:58 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - State economic forecasters foresee no extra money coming into South Carolina's primary coffers, giving legislators less to haggle over as the chambers negotiate a final spending plan.
- Independent reviews of legislators steps from being law Updated: May-19-16 8:11 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Complaints against South Carolina's legislators would be independently investigated under an ethics bill that could reach the finish line this session after four years of debate.
- Bill shaving weeks off SC legislative session to House floor Updated: May-19-16 4:17 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill that would shorten South Carolina's legislative session by three weeks most years is on its way to the House floor.
- Lawmakers, judges seek help for SC Stand Your Ground defense Updated: May-19-16 3:55 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Supreme Court is asking legislators to help them better define the state's "stand-your-ground" self-defense law, but a group of senators said Thursday that immediately expanding the law isn't the right way to do it.
- Allegation of broken rule made in SC judicial races Updated: May-19-16 1:05 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The commission that checks the qualification of lawyers to be judges in South Carolina has received allegations that a candidate broke the rules.
- Senate overrides veto; $40M in help heading to SC farmers Updated: May-18-16 6:24 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - About $40 million in state aid will soon be heading to South Carolina farmers after the Senate delivered its own sharp rebuke to Gov. Nikki Haley on Wednesday by overriding her veto of a farm aid bill.
- Overhaul of SC public records law may be closer to passing Updated: May-18-16 3:08 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill that would reduce fees and wait times for documents under South Carolina's public records law may be closer to passing this year.
- SC Supreme Court to hear Pascoe-Wilson case in June Updated: May-18-16 1:11 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Supreme Court has agreed to decide whether a prosecutor other than the state attorney general can open a state grand jury investigation.
- South Carolina passes bill banning abortion after 19 weeks Updated: May-18-16 12:59 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Legislature passed a bill Tuesday prohibiting abortion after 19 weeks, becoming the 17th state to pass the restrictive ban.
- Haley, Gillespie say GOP needs to be more welcoming Updated: May-17-16 7:00 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and Virginia GOP gubernatorial hopeful Ed Gillespie said Tuesday that the Republican Party needs to be more inclusive, listen better to minority groups and have a brighter tone. But the pair steered clear of criticizing presumptive GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump, who has faced strong opposition from some members of his party for bareknuckle style and hardline positions on immigration and Muslims.
- SC Highway Patrol: Okatie bicyclist killed in hit-and-run Updated: May-17-16 10:11 am
OKATIE, South Carolina - The South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating an apparent hit-and-run that killed a 45-year-old Okatie man over the weekend.
- Given a break: Ex-senator's restitution payment reduced Updated: May-16-16 12:27 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A former South Carolina state senator who resigned amid an ethics investigation and later pleaded guilty to misconduct is getting a break on restitution payments.
- Skateboarder hospitalized after being hit by police cruiser Updated: May-14-16 4:05 pm
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - A skateboarder is in serious condition at a hospital after being hit by a police cruiser in Myrtle Beach.
- Eastbound lanes of I-20 closing to remove truck from river Updated: May-14-16 11:20 am
CAMDEN, South Carolina - Officials are closing part of eastbound Interstate 20 in Kershaw County this weekend to lift an 18-wheeler out of the Wateree River.
- National nonprofit airing radio ads opposing refugee bill Updated: May-13-16 3:14 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A national nonprofit that advocates for immigrants is airing ads in South Carolina urging residents to oppose legislation that requires refugees to register and holds liable those who help them resettle.