- UN chief urges all nations to help end Ebola in West Africa Updated: Jun-02-15 7:15 pm
- Aide: Yemen's president willing to meet rebels in UN talks Updated: Jun-02-15 5:10 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Yemen's exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi has agreed to travel to Geneva for peace talks with Shiite rebels who have taken over large swaths of his country, an aide to the embattled leader said Tuesday. A U.N. official said it is hoped the talks will begin by June 10.
- Fact-finding team heads to Syria to probe toxic chemical use Updated: Jun-02-15 11:36 am
UNITED NATIONS - A fact-finding team with the global chemical weapons watchdog is going to Syria to look into recent allegations of attacks using toxic chemicals.
- French minister: 2015 climate deal must avoid US Congress Updated: Jun-01-15 1:11 pm
BONN, Germany - The global climate agreement being negotiated this year must be worded in such a way that it doesn't require approval by the U.S. Congress, the French foreign minister said Monday.
- Qatar extends travel ban on ex-Gitmo inmates; talks continue Updated: May-31-15 5:10 pm
- Child sex abuse claims shake UN as revelations continue Updated: May-30-15 4:18 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The boys said they approached the French soldiers because they were hungry. Some were so young they didn't quite understand the acts the soldiers demanded in return. One boy, 8 or 9 years old, said he did it several times to the same soldier, "until one day an older kid saw him and told him what he was doing was bad."
- UN nuke agency report shows Iran probe essentially stalled Updated: May-29-15 3:33 pm
VIENNA - Amid accelerated international efforts to reach a nuclear deal with Iran, the U.N. atomic agency on Friday reported that work on a key element - an assessment of allegations that Tehran worked on atomic arms - remains essentially stalled.
- UN reviewing FIFA partnerships amid corruption scandal Updated: May-28-15 5:04 pm
- Lithuania wants NATO battalion as 'security guarantee' Updated: May-28-15 3:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Lithuania's foreign minister says his government wants a NATO battalion deployed permanently in the country as a "security guarantee" - not a provocation against Russia which has stepped up military action in the Baltic states.
- Cyprus leaders look to open 2 more crossings across divide Updated: May-28-15 9:35 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - The leaders of Cyprus' rival Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities on Thursday agreed to open two more crossing points across the island's north-south divide as reunification negotiations ramped up.
- Many UN council members want Burundi elections postponed Updated: May-27-15 8:12 pm
- EU migration plans under fire from UN chief, member states Updated: May-27-15 1:26 pm
BRUSSELS - European Union plans to destroy the boats of smugglers bringing desperate migrants across the Mediterranean and share the refugee burden more evenly came under fresh fire Wednesday from within and outside the EU.
- Quartet Mideast envoy Tony Blair resigns Updated: May-27-15 12:23 pm
JERUSALEM - Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday stepped down as the international community's Mideast envoy, officials said, leaving a post that began with great promise but which struggled to deliver dramatic changes in its quest to promote peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
- UN delays Yemen peace talks scheduled to start Thursday Updated: May-26-15 3:43 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A conference aimed at restoring peace to conflict-torn Yemen has been postponed following a request from Yemen's government and other parties for more time to prepare, the U.N. announced Tuesday.
- Catholics organize to promote pope's climate change message Updated: May-24-15 12:13 pm
NEW YORK - There will be prayer vigils and pilgrimages, policy briefings and seminars, and sermons in parishes from the U.S. to the Philippines.
- At Mideast forum, officials seek world's help Updated: May-23-15 3:07 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Mideast-weary though it may be, the international community has a duty and an interest in helping the countries of the region both rebuff violent extremists and fix the refugee crisis that in part has resulted from the fight with them - that was the message coming from the regional World Economic Forum Saturday.
- AP Interview: Top UN official says Europe must open borders Updated: May-23-15 1:29 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Borders must be "open to Syrians everywhere," including in Europe, to help ease the logistical burden of Middle Eastern countries that have absorbed close to 4 million Syrian refugees, the head of the U.N. refugee agency said Saturday.
- UN envoy: IS poised to become 'serious threat' in Libya Updated: May-23-15 10:41 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Islamic State extremists can pose "a very serious threat" to divided Libya if rival governments there fail to reach a unity deal quickly, the United Nations envoy to the North African country said Saturday.
- Syrians try to build case against Assad in chlorine attacks Updated: May-23-15 2:06 am
BEIRUT - With only a cloth mask for protection, Firas Kayali rushed to try to rescue the residents of a house in a village in rebel-held northern Syria after a barrel bomb, suspected to be filled with chlorine gas, hit nearby.
- UN concerned over human rights, democracy in Macedonia Updated: May-22-15 2:31 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - A top United Nations human rights official expressed concern Friday over the political crisis that has triggered mass protests in Macedonia.
- UN agency passes new standards on prisoner treatment Updated: May-22-15 2:24 pm
VIENNA - The U.N. crime prevention agency has revised international standards on treatment of prisoners to focus on greater respect for human rights.
- UN says Hungarian questionnaire risks spreading xenophobia Updated: May-22-15 10:18 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The United Nations human rights watchdog said Friday it was "shocked" by a Hungarian government questionnaire which links migration with terrorism, fearing it could bolster anti-immigration sentiments.
- The Latest on Rohingya: US envoy says address root causes Updated: May-22-15 9:01 am
5 p.m. (1030 GMT)
- IMF says Gaza reconstruction moving slowly Updated: May-20-15 10:10 am
- Libya sends special envoy to talk with EU about migrant plan Updated: May-19-15 7:54 pm