- House Dem Kildee supports Obama's Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-30-15 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - A House Democrat who represents an American hostage in Iran says he supports the Iran nuclear deal.
- Iran says will ban US experts from UN nuclear inspections Updated: Jul-30-15 1:10 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran will not allow American or Canadian inspectors working for the U.N. nuclear watchdog to visit its nuclear facilities, an official said in remarks broadcast by state TV on Thursday.
- For North Korea, Iran-style nuclear deal not an option Updated: Jul-30-15 7:01 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - If any hopes have been raised that the progress between the United States and Iran to halt Tehran's development of nuclear weapons could bring change in Pyongyang, North Korea has gone out of its way to thwart them.
- UN says too soon for new Syrian peace conference Updated: Jul-29-15 8:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. point man on Syria said Wednesday it's too soon for another peace conference in Geneva and invited Syrians to hold intensive preparatory talks on key issues including a political transition and fighting terrorism.
- Russia vetoes Security Council proposal on MH17 tribunal Updated: Jul-29-15 6:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia on Wednesday vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution that would set up an international criminal court to prosecute those responsible for shooting down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago.
- UN says it could help 3 million in Yemen if a pause holds Updated: Jul-28-15 8:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The latest attempt at a humanitarian pause in Yemen "has not been respected by any party to the conflict," the U.N. humanitarian chief said Tuesday, adding that a plan to reach 3 million Yemenis with aid is ready to go if only the fighting would stop.
- US military chief: World risks becoming immune to crises Updated: Jul-28-15 7:04 pm
NEW YORK - The top U.S. military official warned Tuesday that the world risks becoming immune to the suffering caused by escalating global security threats.
- Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings Updated: Jul-28-15 3:35 pm
TRIPOLI, Libya - Moammar Gadhafi's son and onetime heir apparent was convicted and sentenced to death on Tuesday by a court in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, on charges of murder and inciting genocide during the country's 2011 uprising.
- Slovenia appoints ICJ head as arbitration representative Updated: Jul-28-15 12:46 pm
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia - Slovenia's prime minister says his government has appointed the head of the International Court of Justice, Ronny Abraham, as the country's representative in arbitration over a border dispute with Croatia.
- Iraqi militias train young teens to face the threat of IS Updated: Jul-28-15 10:41 am
BAGHDAD - In the steamy Baghdad night, sweat poured down the faces of the Iraqi teens as they marched around a school courtyard, training for battle against the Islamic State group.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Officials: Iran may take own samples at alleged nuclear site Updated: Jul-28-15 10:19 am
VIENNA - Iran wants its own officials to take soil samples at a site where it is alleged to have experimented with ways to detonate a nuclear weapon, and the U.N. agency probing the suspicions may agree provided it is allowed to monitor the process, two officials told The Associated Press Tuesday.
- Somalia hotel truck bomb toll rises to 15 Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The massive truck bomb that killed 15 people, including a Kenyan diplomat, and wrecked Somalia's premier hotel has stunned the capital and raised fears Monday that the Islamic extremist al-Shabab rebels are escalating their violence.
- Putin, Xi, Rouhani to address annual UN high-level meeting Updated: Jul-27-15 10:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The presidents of China, Russia, Iran and the United States are scheduled to speak at the 70th annual U.N. General Assembly of world leaders in September - a rare appearance for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the first for Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- EU regulator recommends 1st license for malaria vaccine Updated: Jul-24-15 10:25 am
LONDON - The European Medicines Agency has recommended approving what would be the world's first licensed malaria vaccine, even though it's only about 30 percent effective and its protection fades over time.
- UN envoy: Extremism threatens both Israelis, Palestinians Updated: Jul-23-15 4:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Mideast envoy has warned that "the rise of violent extremism and terrorism" in the Mideast poses as much a danger to Palestinian statehood aspirations as to Israel's security
- UN warns lack of aid may drive Iraqis to extremist group Updated: Jul-22-15 5:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Iraq warned Wednesday that a lack of funds for desperately needed humanitarian aid has already cut food rations and may be forcing Iraqi communities and families to look to the Islamic State extremist group for life-saving assistance.
- UN official distracted from child sexual abuse case resigns Updated: Jul-22-15 1:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. rights official who admitted not following up for months on allegations of child sexual abuse by French soldiers in Central African Republic has resigned.
- Birmingham mayor: Pleased to back pope's call to end slavery Updated: Jul-21-15 10:44 am
VATICAN CITY - The latest developments at the Vatican's meeting of mayors on fighting climate change and human trafficking. All times local.
- UN approves accreditation for Palestinian Return Center Updated: Jul-20-15 11:46 pm
- UN endorses Iran nuclear deal with 6 world powers Updated: Jul-20-15 5:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Monday unanimously endorsed the landmark deal to rein in Iran's nuclear program and authorized measures leading to the end of U.N. sanctions, but also approved a provision that would automatically reinstate the harsh measures if Tehran reneges on its promises.
- Obama: UN vote reflects 'broad consensus' for Iran agreement Updated: Jul-20-15 12:15 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the U.N. Security Council's vote to approve the Iran nuclear deal shows there is a broad consensus that the agreement is the best way to ensure that Iran does not get a nuclear weapon.
- Timbuktu's mausoleums restored years after destruction Updated: Jul-19-15 11:28 am
TIMBUKTU, Mali - Fourteen mausoleums in Mali's northern city of Timbuktu that were destroyed by Islamic extremists have been restored by the United Nations.
- South Africans celebrate International Nelson Mandela Day Updated: Jul-18-15 12:18 pm
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans honored the 67 years of former president Nelson Mandela's service to the country with 67 minutes of charity and community action around the country on his birthday Saturday.
- Dutch, Ukrainians, Australians mark year since MH17 downing Updated: Jul-17-15 11:43 am
NIEUWEGEIN, Netherlands - Her voice cracking with emotion, Asmaa Aljuned delivered a parting message Friday that her late husband never got to tell passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 a year ago.