- UN report: Tackle inequality to prevent children from dying Updated: Jun-27-16 8:32 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. children's agency warned Monday that 69 million youngsters under the age of five will die from preventable causes between now and 2030 if all countries don't accelerate action to improve health and education for the most disadvantaged.
- Chile seeks to fight obesity with new food labeling law Updated: Jun-27-16 5:16 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile implemented a new food labeling law Monday in hopes of lowering the country's childhood obesity rate, which is one of the highest in the world.
- Germany wants UN Security Council seat in 2019-20 Updated: Jun-27-16 11:12 am
BERLIN - Germany's foreign minister says his country will seek a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council in 2019 and 2020.
- North Korea: We won't abandon nukes with US gun to our head Updated: Jun-24-16 3:47 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - The top North Korean official for U.S. relations told The Associated Press on Friday that his country is now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, and Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches like the ones earlier this week as long as it attempts to force his government's collapse through a policy of pressure and punishment.
- Top economies ease penalties on Iran over money laundering Updated: Jun-24-16 12:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The world's major economies on Friday suspended anti-money laundering measures against Iran for a year despite concerns that the Islamic Republic uses its financial sector to protect criminal enterprises and fund terrorist activity.
- Coroner: Ex-UN official died when barbell fell on his neck Updated: Jun-23-16 5:06 pm
NEW YORK - A former president of the U.N. General Assembly awaiting trial in a bribery scandal died in a weightlifting accident when a barbell he was lifting from a bench dropped on his neck, an autopsy revealed Thursday.
- UN urges Congo to maintain timely elections Updated: Jun-23-16 4:18 pm
- UN strongly condemns latest North Korean missile launches Updated: Jun-23-16 3:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Thursday strongly condemned two North Korean ballistic missile launches this week, calling them a "grave violation" of a ban on all ballistic missile activity that is contributing to the country's nuclear weapons program.
- UN: 5 million Syrians now in hard-to-reach areas Updated: Jun-23-16 2:57 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations now estimates there are 5 million Syrians in need of humanitarian aid living in hard-to-reach areas, nearly a million more than the previous figure.
- WHO plans urgent yellow fever vaccinations in Angola, Congo Updated: Jun-23-16 11:22 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The World Health Organization is planning emergency vaccination campaigns along the border between Angola and Congo amid the worst yellow fever outbreak in decades that already is blamed for more than 400 deaths, health officials said Thursday.
- Former UN General Assembly chief dies amid bribery case Updated: Jun-22-16 11:06 pm
DOBBS FERRY, New York - Former U.N. General Assembly President John Ashe of the twin-island Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda died on Wednesday in the United States as he was facing criminal charges in a bribery case. He was 61.
- UN will repatriate troops who didn't react to Sudan attack Updated: Jun-22-16 10:33 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Some U.N. peacekeeping units and officers who did not respond to a deadly attack on a U.N. base in South Sudan where 48,000 civilians had sought refuge will be sent home, the U.N. peacekeeping chief said Wednesday.
- UNESCO leader condemns killing of Texas freelance journalist Updated: Jun-22-16 5:51 pm
DALLAS - The head of a United Nations agency on Wednesday condemned the death of a freelance journalist in Texas whose body was found with a gunshot wound in the back yard of a home.
- Saudi prince discuss Yemen controversy at UN Updated: Jun-22-16 4:17 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Saudi Arabia's Deputy Crown Prince and the U.N. Secretary-General on Wednesday discussed measures to improve the situation on the ground in Yemen following a controversy that saw a Saudi-led coalition being placed on, and then removed from, a blacklist over the killing and injuring of children.
- Slain British Parliament member memorialized in NYC Updated: Jun-22-16 3:33 pm
NEW YORK - Diplomats, United Nation leaders and dozens of others gathered in New York to honor slain British Parliament member Jo Cox, joining thousands of others around the world Wednesday in memorial services for her.
- European countries attempt to seek justice for Syria victims Updated: Jun-21-16 9:00 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Several countries, including Sweden, Germany, France and Finland, are investigating or prosecuting alleged perpetrators of grave crimes in Syria in the first attempts to seek justice for victims of the conflict which is now in its sixth year.
- UN envoy urges Yemen warring parties to finalize peace deal Updated: Jun-21-16 4:19 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Yemen appealed to the warring parties on Tuesday to finalize a peace deal as soon as possible, saying slow progress has been made in the past two months and it's now time for concessions on the toughest issues.
- UN Syria envoy laments shelling as aid convoys reach towns Updated: Jun-21-16 11:29 am
GENEVA - The U.N. envoy for Syria is expressing concern about a new trend: President Bashar Assad's government allows humanitarian aid into besieged cities and towns, and those same areas get shelled either before or after the convoys arrive.
- Twist and Om: Millions exercise together for global Yoga Day Updated: Jun-21-16 8:22 am
CHANDIGARH, India - Millions of people twisted their bodies in complex positions in celebration of International Yoga Day on Tuesday.
- UN urges solutions as refugee population hits record high Updated: Jun-20-16 1:47 pm
GENEVA - Imagine the entire population of France uprooted from their homes, forced to flee danger, persecution or starvation. The U.N. refugee agency says more people than that - 65 million - were displaced worldwide at the end of last year, easily setting a new postwar record.
- UN official critical of Hungary plan to shut refugee centers Updated: Jun-20-16 1:20 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's plan to close its refugee reception centers will make it much more difficult for people granted asylum to integrate, forcing them to leave the country, the regional head of the U.N.'s refugee agency said Monday.
- AP NewsBreak: UN: Israel for ratifying nuke test ban treaty Updated: Jun-20-16 7:59 am
VIENNA - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Monday that his country backs ratification of a treaty banning nuclear tests but did not commit to a time frame, a senior U.N. official said after meeting with the Israeli leader.
- UN's Ban visits refugee camps on Greek island of Lesbos Updated: Jun-18-16 12:30 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The United Nations secretary-general on Saturday visited camps on the eastern Greek island of Lesbos, where hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants first set foot in Europe over the past 18 months on their way to the continent's prosperous heartland.
- Top US General discusses peacekeeping at UN Updated: Jun-17-16 4:24 pm
- 17 UN envoys vow to fight for LGBT rights around the world Updated: Jun-16-16 8:31 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power and U.N. envoys from 16 other countries visited the Stonewall Inn which helped spark the modern gay rights movement and vowed to step up their fight for the rights of lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender people around the world.