- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Merkel: 10 years in office and no signs of stopping Updated: Nov-21-15 7:21 am
BERLIN - Angela Merkel marks her 10th anniversary at the helm of Germany on Sunday, becoming only the third post-World War II chancellor to hit that milestone. Over Merkel's decade in charge, she has presided over Germany's strong re-emergence on the world scene - showing leadership in the European financial crisis, pioneering the use of renewable energies and embracing a role as a key negotiator in the Ukraine conflict and a moral authority in Europe's migrant crisis.
- Merkel: Solution to refugee crisis at EU's exterior borders Updated: Nov-19-15 7:33 am
BERLIN - Europe's migrant crisis will be resolved at the EU's exterior border and beyond, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her Austrian counterpart said Thursday.
- France demands EU support in Syria, Iraq and other missions Updated: Nov-17-15 11:25 am
- Diplomats set plan for political change in Syria Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
VIENNA - Invoking the need for joint action after the attacks in Paris, foreign ministers of nearly 20 nations agreed Saturday to an ambitious yet incomplete plan for bringing peace to Syria and ending its role as a breeding ground for ISIS and other radical Islamic groups.
- Paris attacks provoke fresh migrant fears in Europe Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
BERLIN - The news that one of the assailants in the Paris attacks may have crossed into Europe with refugees fleeing Syria is raising the fierce debate over Europe's immigration policy to a new pitch.
- Paris attacks reaction: Nordic governments condemn attacks Updated: Nov-14-15 5:50 am
PARIS - World leaders are reacting to the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. Some of their comments:
- The Latest: Top officials heading to Paris concert hall Updated: Nov-13-15 7:28 pm
PARIS - The latest on shootings and explosions in Paris. (all times local):
- Germany's Merkel grapples with strife at home over migrants Updated: Nov-13-15 4:51 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been looking unusually vulnerable as she prepares to meet the world's top leaders this week, struggling to slow a huge influx of migrants amid mounting demands to do just that.
- Helmut Schmidt dies at 96, ex-chancellor and elder statesman Updated: Nov-11-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt was blunt and down to earth, decisive and brimming with self-confidence.
- Former West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt dies at age 96 Updated: Nov-10-15 7:39 pm
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt, the chancellor who guided West Germany through economic turbulence and Cold War tensions, stood firm against a wave of homegrown terrorism and became a respected elder statesman, died Tuesday. He was 96.
- Britain: All of Europe will benefit from EU reforms Updated: Nov-03-15 9:24 am
BERLIN - Britain's finance minister argued Tuesday for reforms to the European Union that would help keep his country in the bloc and that he insisted would benefit all members, including more open markets and less regulation.
- ECB: Greek banks need $15.8 billion to get back on track Updated: Oct-31-15 12:53 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - The European Central Bank says Greece's battered banks need 14.4 billion euros ($15.8 billion) in fresh money to get back on their feet and resume normal business.
- Merkel's deputy blasts government bickering over migrants Updated: Oct-30-15 6:21 am
BERLIN - Germany's vice chancellor on Friday blasted what he described as irresponsible bickering in Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc over the migrant crisis.