- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- Victims of Chile colony hope German documents bring justice Updated: Apr-28-16 6:03 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Victims of a secretive German colony in Chile hope that Germany's decision to declassify documents will help shine light on human rights abuses committed there.
- German foreign minister regrets diplomats' failures in Chile Updated: Apr-26-16 3:46 pm
BERLIN - Germany's foreign minister has expressed regret over the fact that his country's diplomats failed for years to act on abuses at a secretive German colony in Chile.
- Obama boosts Islamic State fight, asks Europe to do the same Updated: Apr-25-16 7:06 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - Evoking history and appealing for solidarity, President Barack Obama on Monday cast his decision to send 250 more troops to Syria as a bid to keep up "momentum" in the campaign to dislodge Islamic State extremists. He pressed European allies to match the U.S. with new contributions of their own.
- Merkel hints at further military effort in Libya after talks Updated: Apr-25-16 1:47 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Monday that she, U.S. President Barack Obama and the leaders of France, Britain and Italy discussed ways of supporting the fragile unity government in Libya and the possibility of expanding military efforts to stop the smuggling of migrants across the Mediterranean.
- The Latest: Obama meeting with European leaders Updated: Apr-25-16 8:51 am
HANNOVER, Germany - The Latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Germany (all times local):
- Turkish-Dutch journalist detained over Erdogan tweet Updated: Apr-24-16 12:21 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities on Sunday released a Turkish-Dutch journalist from police custody but barred her from leaving Turkey as they continue to investigate tweets she posted about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey hails 'effective' migrant deal as EU leaders visit Updated: Apr-23-16 5:06 pm
GAZIANTEP, Turkey - Turkey's prime minister said Saturday the number of migrants crossing into Greece illegally has dropped considerably, as proof that a much criticized migration deal between Turkey and the European Union is working.
- German leader regrets voicing opinion on Erdogan poem Updated: Apr-22-16 2:36 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she regrets expressing her personal view that a TV comic's poem about Turkey's president was intentionally offensive.
- Merkel lauds Turkey in dealing with Syria refugee crisis Updated: Apr-21-16 2:14 pm
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands - Despite increasing discord between the European Union and Turkey, German Chancellor Angela Merkel lauded Ankara's commitment to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis and said her weekend trip to the Turkish-Syrian border will be used to raise all contentious issues between the two sides.
- German reported denied entry to Turkey back in Egypt Updated: Apr-19-16 5:47 pm
ISTANBUL - A German reporter was prevented from entering Turkey on Tuesday and was held in a deportation room at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport before he was sent back to Cairo, according to a Turkish official and a German broadcaster.
- Hungary PM visits German ex-leader Kohl amid migrant crisis Updated: Apr-19-16 10:40 am
BERLIN - Hungary's prime minister, one of the strongest European critics of Germany's approach to the migrant crisis, made a politically charged visit Tuesday to former Chancellor Helmut Kohl - Angela Merkel's predecessor and one-time mentor.
- German air force to end training contract with Holloman base Updated: Apr-15-16 2:43 pm
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - The German air force is terminating its contract to train its pilots at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico.
- The Latest: Pearce sees need to fill void at New Mexico base Updated: Apr-15-16 1:04 pm
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - The Latest on Germany's decision to end flight training mission at Holloman Air Force Base (all times local):
- European states urge G-20 to share data on offshore accounts Updated: Apr-15-16 5:43 am
MADRID - The European Union's five biggest economies, including Germany and Britain, have agreed to share information on company ownership and are urging other nations to do the same to make it harder for criminals and tax cheats to avoid the law.
- Obama to strategize with leaders in Saudi Arabia, Europe Updated: Apr-14-16 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will strategize with his Middle Eastern and European counterparts on a broad range of issues during a weeklong trip to Saudi Arabia, England and Germany with efforts to rein in the Islamic State group being the common denominator in all three stops.
- German encryption machine on display at Bozeman museum Updated: Apr-14-16 5:23 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - At the height of World War II, Europe was in flames, falling to Hitler's armies and bombing raids, and the Allies were desperate to crack the German military's secret codes.
- European Parliament group ejects nationalist German lawmaker Updated: Apr-13-16 4:12 am
BERLIN - A European Parliament faction that includes Britain's governing party has ejected a lawmaker from the nationalist Alternative for Germany, which has drawn criticism over members' remarks suggesting that police could shoot refugees trying to enter Germany.
- German army wants recruits checked over extremist concerns Updated: Apr-12-16 6:32 am
BERLIN - Germany's Defense Ministry is proposing better screening of new recruits over fears Islamic extremists could be joining the Bundeswehr to get military training.
- European Central Bank faces down eruption of German critics Updated: Apr-11-16 10:26 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Long-simmering discontent is boiling over among German conservatives opposed to the European Central Bank's stimulus policies, causing a clash of words as the ECB defends its independence from political interference.
- The Latest: New Zealand reviews its foreign trust rules Updated: Apr-10-16 11:46 pm
LONDON - The Latest on the publication by a coalition of media outlets of an investigation into offshore financial dealings by the rich and famous (all times local):
- Germany's Merkel defends Turkey deal amid skepticism at home Updated: Apr-08-16 8:28 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday robustly defended the European Union's deal to send back migrants to Turkey as polls pointed to deep skepticism at home about the accord, which human rights groups have criticized.
- Former German foreign minister Genscher dies at 89 Updated: Apr-01-16 5:08 pm
BERLIN - Hans-Dietrich Genscher, the longest-serving German foreign minister who was one of the key architects of the country's 1990 reunification between east and west, has died at 89.