- Kansas seeks dismissal of ACLU lawsuit on gay marriage Updated: Jul-21-15 2:14 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The state is facing a Tuesday deadline to respond to a civil rights group's demand that Kansas' gay marriage ban be ruled unconstitutional - and not simply dismissed as moot - in light of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month that legalized same-sex unions nationwide.
- ACLU asks appeals court to halt NSA phone record collection Updated: Jul-14-15 7:34 pm
NEW YORK - Civil liberties groups asked a federal appeals court Tuesday to again strike down as unconstitutional a portion of a law used by the government to justify the collection and storage of Americans' phone records.
- Maricopa County attorney sidesteps same-sex adoption fight Updated: Jul-10-15 5:32 pm
PHOENIX - Same-sex couples seeking free legal help with non-contested adoptions from the Maricopa County Attorney's Office can now get it - from a private lawyer.
- ACLU: Public workers can't refuse to issue marriage licenses Updated: Jul-08-15 2:11 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - County officials have a duty to impartially administer the law and cannot refuse issuing licenses to same-sex couples if they have religious objections, the American Civil Liberties Union said Wednesday in a letter to the state attorney general.
- Sex offenders sue, cite Indiana's religious objections law Updated: Jul-02-15 6:01 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A lawsuit filed on behalf of two registered sex offenders cites Indiana's new religious objections law in arguing they've been wrongly prohibited from worshipping at churches that have schools on the same property.
- US Supreme Court gives NC 'Choose Life' plates new life Updated: Jun-29-15 4:15 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A federal appeals court must reconsider whether North Carolina can issue "Choose Life" license plates.