- Alabama city's leaders vote to recall bathroom ordinance Updated: May-04-16 5:59 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Leaders of an east Alabama city Wednesday repealed an ordinance that would have imposed criminal penalties on people for using a restroom that doesn't match their gender at birth.
- Reports: Chemist who worked on drug cases was usually high Updated: May-04-16 3:41 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Investigators say a former chemist who tested drugs for Massachusetts police departments was high almost every day she went to work for eight years, potentially putting thousands of criminal convictions in jeopardy.
- ACLU asks Christie to reconsider exiting refugee program Updated: May-03-16 5:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey is calling on Republican Gov. Chris Christie to reconsider withdrawing from a federal refugee resettlement program.
- Since 2013, more than 5,000 migrant children placed in NJ Updated: May-02-16 10:20 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The federal government has placed more than 5,000 migrant children from Central America with adult sponsors in New Jersey since the fall of 2013, where they are expected to attend school while they seek legal status in immigration court.
- Judge won't dismiss lawsuit on harsh CIA interrogation Updated: Apr-22-16 5:35 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - A federal judge on Friday said he won't dismiss a lawsuit against two Washington state psychologists who helped design the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques in the war on terror. The decision means a continuation of the closely watched case that will likely include secret information.
- ACLU defends New Jersey man ticketed for Donald Trump flags Updated: Apr-21-16 10:40 am
WEST LONG BRANCH, New Jersey - New Jersey's American Civil Liberties Union is defending a man who is facing a fine for flying flags supporting Donald Trump.
- ACLU, advocates file complaint against Providence schools Updated: Apr-16-16 4:27 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and local advocates have filed a complaint alleging the Providence School District doesn't provide adequate services to English language learners.
- ACLU, Planned Parenthood sue Indiana over new abortion law Updated: Apr-08-16 8:48 am
- The Latest: Pence says law constitutional despite lawsuit Updated: Apr-07-16 2:00 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on the lawsuit filed over the new Indiana abortion law (all times local):
- Advocates in 2 states act to improve treatment of immigrants Updated: Apr-06-16 6:52 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Advocates took action on two fronts Wednesday to push for better treatment of immigrants in federal custody, claiming they are having their belongings taken by U.S. agents and are languishing behind bars because of unfair bond conditions set by judges and others.
- ACLU: Life in prison for Maryland juveniles unconstitutional Updated: Apr-06-16 3:07 pm
BALTIMORE - Sentencing juveniles to life in prison in Maryland is unconstitutional because they don't have a meaningful chance at parole, the American Civil Liberties Union said in a lawsuit filed Wednesday.