- US Supreme Court gives NC 'Choose Life' plates new life Updated: Jun-29-15 4:15 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A federal appeals court must reconsider whether North Carolina can issue "Choose Life" license plates.
- The Latest: Religious freedom laws will be examined Updated: Jun-26-15 7:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Here is the latest on gay marriage in Kansas. (All times local.)
- Missouri moves swiftly to begin same-sex marriages Updated: Jun-26-15 5:47 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Within hours of the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark decision Friday to legalize gay marriage - upending Missouri's constitutional ban on the practice - same-sex couples in the state applied and were granted marriage licenses.
- Woman says miscarried after shackled in immigration facility Updated: Jun-19-15 7:17 pm
An asylum seeker from Mexico suffered a miscarriage after she tripped and fell while shackled in immigration detention, even though pregnant detainees are not supposed to be restrained, her lawyers said.
- ACLU sues Idaho in push to improve public defender system Updated: Jun-17-15 4:15 pm
BOISE, Idaho - A national civil liberties group has brought its fight to overhaul the criminal defense system for low-income defendants to Idaho with a lawsuit that says the state hasn't done enough to make sure poor people are being fairly represented.
- ACLU files federal suit challenging SD election law change Updated: Jun-15-15 10:01 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Two small political parties in South Dakota filed a federal lawsuit Monday challenging part of a law that they say would make it harder to get their candidates on the ballot.
- Judge won't release Mississippi prison from court oversight Updated: Jun-11-15 7:58 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A federal judge is rejecting efforts to end his oversight of a private prison holding Mississippi inmates, finding that unsafe conditions have not improved enough.
- Lawmakers, ACLU protest 30-day residency voting requirement Updated: Jun-11-15 2:29 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan is likely to veto legislation that would require people to live in New Hampshire for 30 days before they can vote in the state.
- ACLU seeks communications on alleged assault by officer Updated: Jun-05-15 6:34 pm