- Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day Updated: Apr-29-16 8:10 am
SACRAMENTO, California - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.
- California utility casts doubt on blame for deadly wildfire Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The state of California is seeking more than $90 million in firefighting costs from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. after finding that a deadly 2015 fire was sparked by a tree that came into contact with a power line, but the utility says it's not clear that it was to blame for the tree.
- The Latest: Utility says blame for 2015 wildfire is unclear Updated: Apr-28-16 11:32 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on the cause of a deadly 2015 wildfire (all times local):
- California lawmakers advance gas moratorium after huge leak Updated: Apr-28-16 2:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's state Assembly is advancing legislation to extend the closure of a gas storage facility after it spewed massive amounts of natural gas for nearly four months.
- California bill would extend nanny overtime law Updated: Apr-28-16 1:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate is backing legislation to permanently extend a temporary law requiring employers to pay domestic workers overtime pay.
- California Legislature approves $16 million for June primary Updated: Apr-28-16 1:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is approving $16 million to help county election officials deal with a surge of interest in the June primary and a crush of petition signatures for ballot measures.
- 1 killed, 1 injured in collision on I-105 in south LA Updated: Apr-28-16 8:39 am
LOS ANGELES - The California Highway Patrol says a 25-year-old woman was killed and a second person injured in a two-vehicle crash on westbound Interstate 105 in south Los Angeles.
- Lawmakers give initial OK to California online gambling bill Updated: Apr-27-16 9:10 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - After eight years of failed attempts to pass online gambling, lawmakers are advancing the first proposal that would legalize online poker in California.
- Wrong-way driver causes crash, runs from LA freeway Updated: Apr-27-16 12:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles authorities are searching for a man who drove the wrong way on westbound U.S. 101 and slammed into a big rig and two cars before running from the scene.
- 1 dead in multi-vehicle crash east of San Francisco Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 am
PLEASANTON, California - Four cars and a big rig were involved in a collision east of San Francisco Wednesday morning that killed one person and snarled the morning commute.
- Bill seeks to open California health exchange to immigrants Updated: Apr-26-16 8:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is considering asking the federal government for permission to sell health insurance through the Covered California exchange to people who can't prove they're legally in the country.
- GOP pushes tax credits as California budget work heats up Updated: Apr-26-16 3:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - As the deadline approaches for Gov. Jerry Brown to release his revised budget proposal, Senate Republicans are advocating a series of tax breaks they say would help low-income families.
- Motorcyclist killed in 4-vehicle crash on LA County freeway Updated: Apr-26-16 10:39 am
COMPTON, California - Northbound traffic is moving again on Interstate 710 in Compton after being shut down following a four-vehicle crash that killed a 24-year-old motorcyclist.
- US Senate debate draws contrasts in tone between Democrats Updated: Apr-26-16 3:59 am
STOCKTON, California - What they lacked in policy distinctions the two Democrats vying for California's first open U.S. Senate seat in decades made up for in stylistic differences, with front-runner Attorney General Kamala Harris sticking to an attorney's measured tones and Rep. Loretta Sanchez shooting from the hip and milking every moment for a quip.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- California Senate rejects drug-sentencing legislation Updated: Apr-25-16 10:02 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Senate on Monday rejected a bill that would end a practice of extending jail and prison sentences for repeat drug offenders.
- Who's better? Gov. Scott says Florida better than California Updated: Apr-25-16 9:11 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Taking his quest to lure jobs from other states up another notch, Gov. Rick Scott got Florida to start airing radio ads blasting California's decision to raise the minimum wage.
- California lawmakers eye $1.3 billion for affordable housing Updated: Apr-25-16 8:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers called Monday for California to spend $1.3 billion next year to help workers afford housing and to shelter homeless people in response to the growing statewide issue.
- California Assembly approves tobacco-free college campuses Updated: Apr-25-16 7:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly on Monday approved banning tobacco use on all California State University and community college campuses, building on a package of restrictions already awaiting Gov. Jerry Brown's signature.
- Judge says Koch-founded group can keep donors secret Updated: Apr-21-16 9:35 pm
LOS ANGELES - A judge in Los Angeles says a conservative group founded by the billionaire Koch (Coke) brothers can keep its donors secret from California's top prosecutor.
- California governor's greenhouse-gas cuts scrutinized Updated: Apr-21-16 8:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The top lawyer for the California Legislature says Gov. Jerry Brown exceeded his authority when he issued an executive order imposing what he called the most aggressive carbon-emission reductions in North America, aligning California with the European Union's aggressive climate change standards.
- California high-speed rail officials tinker with $64B plan Updated: Apr-21-16 7:55 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The board that oversees California's high-speed rail system put off a vote Thursday on a revised business plan to give state officials more time to assuage lawmakers and citizens upset by the recent decision to first send the train to Northern California rather than the Los Angeles area.
- California approves new regulations for Lyft, Uber Updated: Apr-21-16 7:06 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California Public Utilities Commission on Thursday approved new regulations for ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft, including where identifying logos should go and stricter vehicle inspections.
- California bill to unionize freelancers withdrawn for year Updated: Apr-21-16 5:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A longshot proposal to allow Uber drivers and all other independent contractors in California to unionize is being withdrawn.
- California bill seeks to reduce deportation for minor crimes Updated: Apr-21-16 1:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are moving to protect legal immigrants convicted of low-level offenses from deportation.