- State Supreme Court tosses huge development's enviro report Updated: Nov-30-15 7:51 pm
LOS ANGELES - California's Supreme Court has rejected an environmental impact report for a massive housing development northwest of Los Angeles - potentially setting back the project for years.
- Last Boeing C-17 leaves Southern California assembly plant Updated: Nov-29-15 10:22 pm
LONG BEACH, California - The last C-17 Globemaster III built at a Southern California Boeing plant soared into history on Sunday with a flyover that marked the end of an era for the region's once-thriving aerospace industry.
- Nuclear crossroad: California reactors face uncertain future Updated: Nov-28-15 6:37 pm
LOS ANGELES - Six years ago, the company that owns California's last operating nuclear power plant announced it would seek an extended lifespan for its aging reactors. Pacific Gas and Electric Co. envisioned Diablo Canyon as a linchpin in the state's green energy future, with its low-carbon electricity illuminating homes to nearly midcentury.
- California demands fixes for 16,000 more VW cars Updated: Nov-25-15 5:51 pm
LOS ANGELES - California air quality regulators on Wednesday demanded a recall of up to 16,000 additional Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche diesels as the Volkswagen emissions scandal widened.
- CalPERS raises question about private equity returns Updated: Nov-25-15 3:45 pm
LOS ANGELES - Questions of risk and expense have been raised by the revelation that the California Public Employees' Retirement System paid private equity managers $3.4 billion in bonuses since 1990, including $700 million in performance fees for the last fiscal year, a newspaper reported.
- Man vandalizing freeway divider struck by hit-and-run driver Updated: Nov-23-15 9:00 am
ORANGE, California - The California Highway Patrol says a man vandalizing an Orange County freeway divider was seriously injured after being struck by a hit-and-run driver.
- VW has only a few costly options to fix polluting diesels Updated: Nov-19-15 5:03 pm
DETROIT - When Volkswagen submits a plan to fix emissions-cheating diesel engines on Friday, it will have only two options for most of the cars.
- More than 500 firearms seized from Central California man Updated: Nov-18-15 7:35 pm
CLOVIS, California - State law enforcement officials seized more than 500 firearms Wednesday from a man barred from owning weapons for mental health reasons.
- California Editorial Roundup Updated: Nov-18-15 12:53 pm
- Man drives 125 mph, dies in chase with California police Updated: Nov-18-15 9:51 am
SAN JOSE, California - Authorities say a man driving a stolen car crashed and died after a high-speed chase with police.
- California lawmaker plans law to end killer whale captivity Updated: Nov-06-15 4:19 pm
SAN DIEGO - A California congressman announced Friday that he is planning federal legislation that aims to phase out the captivity of killer whales by banning breeding, importing and exporting the animals for public display.
- Questions, answers about toxic West Coast crabs Updated: Nov-06-15 2:15 am
A poisonous substance linked to a massive algae bloom off the West Coast has prompted officials to halt recreational shellfishing from Washington to California and is blamed for sickening dozens of seabirds, seals, whales and other marine life. Below are questions and answers about the issue:
- Settlement reached in California suit on learning time Updated: Nov-05-15 3:51 pm
LOS ANGELES - State officials will track when students are assigned to classes in which they are given chores or allowed to leave early instead of provided instruction under the terms of a settlement reached Thursday in a class action lawsuit.
- High toxin level delays California crab season Updated: Nov-05-15 1:48 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Wildlife authorities delayed the Dungeness crab season and closed the rock crab fishery for most of California on Thursday, just days after warning of dangerous levels of a neurotoxin linked to a massive algae bloom off the West Coast.
- High toxin level in California crabs prompt health warning Updated: Nov-03-15 9:06 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California health officials on Tuesday warned people to avoid eating Dungeness and Rock crabs that contain dangerous levels of a neurotoxin linked to a massive algae bloom off the West Coast.
- EPA says Volkswagen cheated a 2nd time on pollution tests Updated: Nov-02-15 6:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The Volkswagen emissions scandal widened Monday when the U.S. government accused the German automaker of cheating for a second time. Although VW denied the charge, it faced the prospect of steeper fines and lost sales, as well as more intense scrutiny from disbelieving U.S. lawmakers.
- Pursuit of truck cab ties up Interstate 15 in Mojave Desert Updated: Nov-02-15 5:49 pm
BARSTOW, California - A police pursuit of a man driving the cab of a big-rig truck shut down a busy highway linking Las Vegas to Los Angeles for more than an hour Monday as California Highway Patrol officers disabled the vehicle, rescued a woman passenger and took the driver into custody.
- CHP officer shot and wounded, suspect killed in Eureka Updated: Nov-02-15 1:37 am
EUREKA, California - Authorities said a California Highway Patrol officer was shot and wounded in Northern California by a man who died from the injuries he sustained when the officer returned fire.