- Driver arrested at hospital following crash that killed girl Updated: May-29-16 1:21 pm
MALIBU, California - Authorities say a 22-year-old woman who was severely injured in a single-car crash that killed her 2-year-old passenger was arrested at the hospital on suspicion of driving under the influence.
- Woman ejected from overturned car, ran over by friend Updated: May-29-16 12:43 am
PENNGROVE, California - A Northern California woman was killed after being ejected from her car and struck by a friend who was driving close behind her.
- California US Senate choice could come down to 2 Democrats Updated: May-28-16 4:10 pm
LOS ANGELES - California Attorney General Kamala Harris would love to deliver an election-day surprise by ousting her strongest rival and fellow Democrat, Rep. Loretta Sanchez, from the race for the state's open U.S. Senate seat.
- Michigan bills expand use of driverless cars beyond testing Updated: May-28-16 9:35 am
LANSING, Michigan - The U.S. auto industry's home state of Michigan is preparing for the advent of self-driving cars by pushing legislation to allow for public sales and operation - a significant expansion beyond an existing state law that sanctions such vehicles for testing only.
- The Latest: California predictable work schedule bill dies Updated: May-27-16 7:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action by the California Legislature (all times local):
- California rushes to allow HIV-infected organ transplants Updated: May-27-16 6:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers approved emergency legislation Friday to allow a man with HIV to receive part of his HIV-positive husband's liver before the surgery becomes too dangerous, possibly within weeks.
- The Latest: California governor signs HIV-transplant bill Updated: May-27-16 5:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on California legislation allowing transplants of HIV-infected organs (all times local):
- California lawmakers advance Brown's affordable housing plan Updated: May-27-16 1:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers have adopted a controversial plan proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown in response to the state's affordable housing crisis.
- California high court rejects challenge to juvenile sentence Updated: May-26-16 8:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a challenge to a criminal sentence of 50 years to life for a juvenile convicted of murder who argued that the punishment violated a U.S. Supreme Court decision because it was the equivalent of life without parole and required by law.
- California court tosses murder conviction in bite-mark case Updated: May-26-16 8:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court Thursday threw out the conviction of a man found guilty of killing his wife after jurors heard bite-mark testimony that was later recanted.
- Kings County won't appeal California high-speed rail ruling Updated: May-26-16 7:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Kings County officials have opted not to appeal a judge's ruling against Central Valley landowners in their ongoing lawsuit against California's high-speed rail project, clearing another legal hurdle to the bullet train.
- Accomplice of California 'Freeway Killer' slain in prison Updated: May-26-16 7:02 pm
IONE, California - An accomplice of a man convicted decades ago of killing 14 young men and boys then dumping their naked bodies along Southern California freeways has been killed in prison, officials said Thursday.
- California mayors press for freeway cameras amid shootings Updated: May-26-16 4:57 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Five Northern California mayors called on the governor Thursday to install surveillance cameras on freeways that run through their cities amid a spate of deadly shootings that they say have left their communities "under siege."
- The Latest: Court rejects challenge to juvenile sentence Updated: May-26-16 2:03 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on the California Supreme Court's ruling on the constitutionality of a mandatory 50-years-to-life sentence for a juvenile convicted of homicide (all times local):
- CHP officer seriously injured in LA County hit-and-run Updated: May-26-16 8:25 am
LOS ANGELES - Authorities in Los Angeles County say a suspect was arrested after a California Highway Patrol officer was seriously injured by a hit-and-run driver in the Topanga area.
- Demand plummets for California pollution credits Updated: May-25-16 8:51 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's ambitious efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are taking a hit as demand has plummeted for pollution credits that are supposed to fund the initiative.
- Lawmakers approve audit of disabled parking in California Updated: May-25-16 3:42 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers are directing the state auditor to assess potential fraud in the program that gives out parking permits for the disabled.
- Investigators probe latest California highway shooting Updated: May-25-16 10:24 am
HERCULES, California - A shooting on a San Francisco Bay Area freeway has left a motorist injured.
- AGs: Pelvic mesh implants caused dire complications Updated: May-25-16 4:39 am
SEATTLE - Dawna Hankins was scheduled to have a partial hysterectomy in 2008 when her doctor suggested implanting a vaginal mesh device at the same time to deal with minor incontinence.
- McAuliffe announces California brewery expanding to Virginia Updated: May-25-16 3:52 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe says another craft beer company has decided to locate its East Coast operations in Virginia.
- California lawmaker backs pay initiative amid family charges Updated: May-24-16 6:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California lawmaker is contributing to a ballot measure that stemmed from allegations of bribery against his uncle.
- Sanders raises money for California Senate candidate Updated: May-24-16 2:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders is urging his network of donors to contribute to a candidate for the California state Senate.
- Governor endorses Democratic Senate candidate Kamala Harris Updated: May-23-16 8:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is endorsing Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Kamala Harris barely two weeks before California's June 7 primary election.
- Officers chase geese off freeway as fast as they can waddle Updated: May-23-16 9:19 am
OAKLAND, California - California Highway Patrol officers say they recently led "the world's slowest pursuit" on Interstate 80 near Oakland.
- Analyst rejects California governor's deficit projection Updated: May-20-16 6:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's nonpartisan legislative analyst said Friday that he expects budget surpluses in each of the next four fiscal years, rejecting Gov. Jerry Brown's projection of a budget deficit if voters don't renew temporary tax increases on the rich.