- Tea party-backed Turner not seeking Texas House re-election Updated: Jun-25-15 3:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The former NFL defensive end who led an unsuccessful tea party revolt against incumbent Texas House Speaker Joe Straus isn't seeking another term in office.
- Texas may be tea party heaven, but activists aren't happy Updated: Jun-21-15 10:53 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas can sometimes feel like tea party heaven - the land of Ted Cruz, where the Legislature is packed with hard-right devotees and the governor himself heeds fringe fears about possible federal plots to seize the state.
- Loophole sinks ethics reforms vetoed by Texas Gov. Abbott Updated: Jun-20-15 8:58 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott dealt a final blow Saturday to his own pledges to tighten Texas' loose ethics rules, vetoing two reform bills poisoned by a last-minute rider that would have given lawmakers cover to hide their spouses' financial dealings.
- Texas GOP tries to pluck the liberal thorn from its side Updated: Jun-11-15 3:27 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - For years Republicans have controlled every lever of Texas politics - every statewide office, both houses of the Legislature, the state Supreme Court. Every nexus of power, that is, but one: the capital city.
- Efforts lead to commission examining wrongful convictions Updated: Jun-06-15 3:43 pm
LUBBOCK, Texas - The efforts of a group including a man cleared of sexual assault in Texas, lawmakers and the family of an inmate who was the state's first to be pardoned after death led to a new commission that will examine wrongful convictions.
- Strong-armed Texas state lawmaker leaves gavels in pieces Updated: Jun-02-15 5:39 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - At 5 feet 5 inches tall, Texas Rep. Kenneth Sheets is one of the smallest members of the Texas Legislature.
- Legislature ends with Lt. Gov. Patrick denying 2018 plans Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first legislative session under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ended Monday with conservatives claiming victory on tax cuts, a big boost in border security spending and looser gun laws in a state already known as among America's most firearms friendly.
- Abbott: Texas won't legalize medicinal or recreational pot Updated: Jun-01-15 4:17 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas won't legalize marijuana for medicinal or recreational use for as long as he's in office.
- 10 Things to Know about the Texas legislative session Updated: Jun-01-15 2:16 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott's first biennial legislative session is over. If you didn't follow along the last 140 days, this is what you missed:
- Texas House public education chief announces his retirement Updated: Jun-01-15 1:44 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Rep. Jimmie Don Aycock, the head of the powerful House Public Education Committee, is retiring.