- Rookie goaltender Murray stealing the show for Penguins Updated: May-03-16 6:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Murray isn't in the mood to think about what it all means, this ride that he's on. The NHL's best team on the other side of the ice. His mentor watching from bench. An arena chanting his name.
- Penguins top Capitals 3-2 to take 2-1 series lead Updated: May-03-16 12:27 am
PITTSBURGH - Outhit, outshot and largely outplayed, Pittsburgh grabbed control of its Eastern Conference semifinal against Washington anyway.
- Capitals defenseman Orpik thinks 3-game suspension is fair Updated: May-02-16 2:11 pm
PITTSBURGH - Brooks Orpik was trying to be physical. Yet the instant the Washington Capitals defenseman made contact with Pittsburgh defenseman Olli Maatta's head early in Game 2 on Saturday night, Orpik knew he had crossed a sometimes vague line between aggressive and illegal.
- Down a man after Orpik hit, Pens top Caps 2-1; series 1-all Updated: May-01-16 12:36 am
WASHINGTON - Already down a game in their second-round playoff series, Kris Letang and the Pittsburgh Penguins suddenly were down a man, too, on Saturday night, when Olli Maatta was leveled by a high hit from Washington's Brooks Orpik less than 5 minutes in.
- Caps' Tom Wilson fined $2,400 for knee hit to Pens' Sheary Updated: Apr-29-16 2:51 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The NHL fined Capitals forward Tom Wilson $2,404 on Friday for his knee-on-knee hit on Pittsburgh's Conor Sheary, sparing him a suspension that could have altered the second-round playoff series against the Penguins.
- Metro staying open an hour later for Capitals playoff game Updated: Apr-28-16 9:02 am
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Updated: Apr-25-16 3:24 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Just as it has in every season since winning it all in 1975, Philadelphia heads home without a Stanley Cup.
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Updated: Apr-24-16 4:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Early in the third period, a Flyers fan held up a sign directed at Washington that read, "You'll choke."
- Neuvirth magnificent against Capitals as Flyers force Game 6 Updated: Apr-23-16 12:10 am
WASHINGTON - Standing in the same crease that Steve Mason allowed a goal from 101 feet out, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth saw shots from every angle and didn't crack. Not even once.
- Flyers' Scott Laughton taken off on stretcher after hit Updated: Apr-20-16 10:49 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia center Scott Laughton was taken off the ice on a stretcher after a scary hit into the boards Wednesday night in Game 4 of the Flyers' first-round playoff series against the Washington Capitals.
- Flyers' Bellemare suspended 1 game for hit from behind Updated: Apr-19-16 5:55 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Flyers forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare has been suspended one game for checking Washington Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov from behind.
- Wrist shots: Flyers say no bracelets for Game 4 Updated: Apr-19-16 3:47 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Flyers want to keep wrist shots on the ice and not from fans in the stands.
- Flyers' Couturier out of Capitals series with injury Updated: Apr-15-16 3:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Center Sean Couturier will miss the rest of the Philadelphia Flyers' first-round series against the Washington Capitals because of an upper-body injury.
- Capitals' Holtby as calm as ever going into fourth playoffs Updated: Apr-12-16 4:25 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - When Washington Capitals players see an opposing goaltender bobbling the puck or struggling to make a save, they yell to each other that he looks shaky. When they look back to their own crease, they rarely see that with Braden Holtby.
- Capitals prepare for hard-fought series against Flyers Updated: Apr-11-16 4:04 pm
- Ducks beat Capitals, clinch Pacific Division Updated: Apr-10-16 11:37 pm
WASHINGTON - When the Anaheim Ducks lost nine of their first 10 games, making the playoffs looked like an uphill climb. Now they're Pacific Division champions for the fourth consecutive year.
- Rangers open playoffs at Pens; Ducks vault Kings in Pacific Updated: Apr-10-16 11:04 pm
- Ovechkin has 3 goals, Holtby ties wins record for Capitals Updated: Apr-09-16 11:47 pm
- 'Mr. Game 7' Justin Williams reaches 1,000-game milestone Updated: Apr-08-16 12:40 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Justin Williams tore ligaments in his left knee (twice), tore the Achilles tendon in his right leg and broke his right ankle - all before he turned 28. Even though he had won a Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006, it's no wonder the Los Angeles Kings wondered if Williams was damaged goods.
- Islanders battle through slew of injuries, make playoffs Updated: Apr-06-16 12:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Losing another player to injury struck a nerve for Jack Capuano. The New York Islanders' coach couldn't remember how many times in recent weeks his team had to finish a game with only five defensemen.
- Islanders clinch playoff spot by beating Capitals in OT Updated: Apr-05-16 11:07 pm
WASHINGTON - All eyes were on Braden Holtby in his first chance to tie Martin Brodeur's single-season wins record. Then, New York Islanders rookie Christopher Gibson stole the show at the other end.
- Holtby approaching Brodeur's single-season wins record Updated: Apr-04-16 6:24 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - When Martin Brodeur broke the NHL's single-season wins mark in 2006-07, the New Jersey Devils goaltender was honored that previous record holder Bernie Parent was in attendance. The Hall of Famer sent him a note, and Brodeur had him autograph a replica mask that's still displayed in his home.