- Seguin scores twice during big 2nd, Stars beat Capitals 4-3 Updated: Feb-14-16 12:53 am
DALLAS - A week has made a big difference for the Dallas Stars.
- Ovechkin hat trick gives Capitals 4-3 road win against Wild Updated: Feb-12-16 12:22 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Scoring more than 500 goals in the NHL hasn't come without Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin being opportunistic. Thursday night was another example of being in the right place at the right time - with an unrivaled scoring touch.
- Johansson has goal, 2 assists as Caps beat Predators 5-3 Updated: Feb-10-16 1:07 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A return to Nashville for Washington Capitals coach Barry Trotz was nice, but winning was even better.
- NHL-leading Capitals aim to end troubling power-play drought Updated: Feb-08-16 3:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The Capitals are winners of three in a row and sitting pretty atop the NHL, so not much seems to be going wrong for Washington. They do however have one glaring problem - power-play goals - and it is something coach Barry Trotz hopes to fix sooner rather than later.
- Ovechkin reaches 30 goals again as Capitals beat Flyers Updated: Feb-07-16 4:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Matt Niskanen scored a goal that wowed the Washington Capitals' bench, and Alex Ovechkin scored an atypical goal that put him in elite company in hockey history.
- Oshie, Ovechkin convert in shootout; Capitals top Devils 3-2 Updated: Feb-06-16 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A day after being called up from the minor leagues, Paul Carey got the Washington Capitals to overtime with his first NHL goal.
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores winner in return vs. Islanders Updated: Feb-04-16 11:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Braden Holtby began feeling like he was playing the first game after a summer off, and Alex Ovechkin needed a few shifts to get back into a rhythm. Once they got going, the Washington Capitals were back to normal.
- Huberdeau leads Panthers past Caps 5-2 for 4th straight win Updated: Feb-02-16 11:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Beating the defending Stanley Cup and Eastern Conference champions, along with the top team in the NHL this season, says something about the upstart Florida Panthers. The way they've done it says even more.
- Despite best start, Rangers in fight for playoffs at break Updated: Jan-28-16 3:20 pm
NEW YORK - Despite the best start in franchise history, the New York Rangers are in a fight to make the playoffs heading into the NHL All-Star break.
- Kuznetsov, Neal replace Ovechkin, Toews as NHL All-Stars Updated: Jan-28-16 10:29 am
- Capitals' Ovechkin to miss NHL All-Star Game with injury Updated: Jan-28-16 4:34 am
WASHINGTON - A lingering lower-body injury knocked one of the NHL's biggest stars out of All-Star weekend.
- Capitals' Richards has court date adjourned to Feb. 25 Updated: Jan-27-16 3:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Washington Capitals center Mike Richards will not appear in Manitoba Court on Thursday, as his trial on the charge of possession of a controlled substance has been adjourned to Feb. 25.
- Snowstorm postpones 2 NHL games, strands 2 college teams Updated: Jan-23-16 9:48 pm
NEW YORK - A blizzard socking the Eastern United States disrupted the sports schedule Saturday for a second day, forcing the postponement of two more NHL games and several college basketball games and stranding two college teams on the snow-choked Pennsylvania Turnpike.
- Storm knocks out Sunday's Penguins-Capitals game Updated: Jan-23-16 10:18 am
NEW YORK - The NHL postponed Sunday's game between the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins because of the severe snowstorm in the Washington area.
- Snow cancels hockey game in Washington Updated: Jan-22-16 5:02 pm
- Capitals, Wizards home games postponed because of blizzard Updated: Jan-22-16 2:18 pm
WASHINGTON - The NHL's Capitals and NBA's Wizards each had a home game postponed because of the blizzard hitting the Washington area.
- GW women's basketball moves game to Friday to avoid storm Updated: Jan-21-16 2:53 pm
WASHINGTON - George Washington's women's basketball game against visiting George Mason has been moved to Friday at noon instead of Saturday in hopes of avoiding the heavy snowstorm that is forecast for the area.
- Backstrom, Ovechkin power 1st-place Caps past Blue Jackets Updated: Jan-19-16 11:30 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A refreshed Braden Holtby handled an early push from Columbus until Washington's high-powered offense revved up.
- Holtby expected to be OK after leaving game with dehydration Updated: Jan-17-16 9:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Goaltender Braden Holtby is expected to be OK after leaving the Washington Capitals' game against the New York Rangers on Sunday because of dehydration.
- Williams has hat trick; Capitals bounce back, beat Rangers Updated: Jan-17-16 9:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Justin Williams remembered that the last time he recorded a hat trick was 2006 when he played for the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Kane and Johnson help Sabres beat Capitals and Holtby, 4-1 Updated: Jan-16-16 11:25 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Phil Varone barely slept last night and Tim Schaller hadn't scored in more than a year. Together, they helped the Buffalo Sabres hand Washington goalie Braden Holtby a rare loss.
- 'The Goal' by Caps' Ovechkin still resonates 10 years later Updated: Jan-15-16 2:46 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Watching from the Glendale Arena press box, George McPhee saw his young star's every move. He watched as Alex Ovechkin got tangled up with Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Paul Mara, fell to the ice and shot the puck into the net from a near-impossible angle on his back.