- Michigan bills expand use of driverless cars beyond testing Updated: May-28-16 9:35 am
LANSING, Michigan - The U.S. auto industry's home state of Michigan is preparing for the advent of self-driving cars by pushing legislation to allow for public sales and operation - a significant expansion beyond an existing state law that sanctions such vehicles for testing only.
- The Latest: California predictable work schedule bill dies Updated: May-27-16 7:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action by the California Legislature (all times local):
- California rushes to allow HIV-infected organ transplants Updated: May-27-16 6:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers approved emergency legislation Friday to allow a man with HIV to receive part of his HIV-positive husband's liver before the surgery becomes too dangerous, possibly within weeks.
- The Latest: California governor signs HIV-transplant bill Updated: May-27-16 5:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on California legislation allowing transplants of HIV-infected organs (all times local):
- California lawmakers advance Brown's affordable housing plan Updated: May-27-16 1:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers have adopted a controversial plan proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown in response to the state's affordable housing crisis.
- Lawmakers approve audit of disabled parking in California Updated: May-25-16 3:42 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers are directing the state auditor to assess potential fraud in the program that gives out parking permits for the disabled.
- California lawmaker backs pay initiative amid family charges Updated: May-24-16 6:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California lawmaker is contributing to a ballot measure that stemmed from allegations of bribery against his uncle.
- Sanders raises money for California Senate candidate Updated: May-24-16 2:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders is urging his network of donors to contribute to a candidate for the California state Senate.
- Governor endorses Democratic Senate candidate Kamala Harris Updated: May-23-16 8:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is endorsing Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Kamala Harris barely two weeks before California's June 7 primary election.
- Analyst rejects California governor's deficit projection Updated: May-20-16 6:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's nonpartisan legislative analyst said Friday that he expects budget surpluses in each of the next four fiscal years, rejecting Gov. Jerry Brown's projection of a budget deficit if voters don't renew temporary tax increases on the rich.
- California Senate approves sweeping gun-control measures Updated: May-19-16 8:30 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrats in the California Senate approved a wide-ranging series of gun control bills Thursday, reviving an effort to significantly tighten California's already strict gun laws in the wake of last year's terrorist attack in San Bernardino.
- California Assembly OKs proposed notice to police in videos Updated: May-19-16 7:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers on Thursday advanced a bill intended to protect police officers from harm by giving them time to decide whether to keep video footage secret.
- The Latest: California Senate backs strict gun restrictions Updated: May-19-16 2:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on the California Senate's gun-control debate (all times are local):
- Frontier: Telecom takeover led to outages in 3 states Updated: May-18-16 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Frontier Communications blamed its takeover of another company for widespread phone, internet and television service outages in California, Texas and Florida at a legislative hearing Wednesday, saying Frontier inherited corrupt data in its $10.5 billion acquisition of certain Verizon businesses last month.
- California bill eases regulations to aid affordable housing Updated: May-16-16 8:32 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California senators are backing a bill intended to encourage more property owners to build separate dwelling units as one answer to the state's affordable housing problem.
- The Latest: Governor increases savings from ballot measure Updated: May-13-16 3:57 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on California's budget revision (all times local):
- California Senate suspends lobbyist fundraising restrictions Updated: May-12-16 7:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate on Thursday reversed the fundraising blackout it imposed after a series of ethical violations led to the suspension of three senators in 2014, a day before senators would have been forced to stop some fundraising just ahead of the June primary.
- Bill mandating rape-kit data clears California Assembly Updated: May-12-16 6:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a proposal requiring local police departments to report how many rape kits they collect and give a reason for every kit that goes untested in an effort to reduce the accumulation of untested DNA samples taken in sexual assault cases.
- The Latest: California Senate ends fundraising blackout Updated: May-12-16 4:06 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on the California Senate ending lobbyist fundraising restrictions (all times local):
- The Latest: Sundheim attacks Harris' crime-fighting record Updated: May-10-16 10:30 pm
SAN DIEGO - The Latest on the televised debate in California's U.S. Senate race (all times local):
- California governor signs bill giving time for ADA fixes Updated: May-10-16 6:29 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is backing legislation that could cut the number of lawsuits against businesses over technical violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- California Assembly passes gender-neutral restrooms bill Updated: May-09-16 9:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers advanced a proposal Monday that would require all single-stall public restrooms to be gender neutral.
- California may ban state-paid trips to protest anti-gay laws Updated: May-09-16 8:34 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are advancing a ban on publicly funded travel to states that have laws restricting the rights of gay or transgender individuals.
- California bill targets school bus deaths Updated: May-09-16 7:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate is backing legislation aimed at preventing children from being left unattended on parked school buses.
- The Latest: California Assembly passes all-gender restrooms Updated: May-09-16 5:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on California's bill to make single-occupant restrooms gender neutral (all times local):