- NTSB: Mechanical failure, alcohol not to blame in bus crash Updated: Feb-12-16 10:12 am
SAN JOSE, California - A national safety board investigation has found that a 58-year-old bus driver whose Greyhound bus rolled over last month, killing two, did not have drugs or alcohol in his system.
- Excerpts from recent South Dakota editorials Updated: Feb-11-16 3:39 pm
The Daily Republic, Mitchell, Feb. 10, 2016
- NTSB to launch 2nd search mission for wrecked freighter Updated: Feb-11-16 3:33 pm
MIAMI - Federal investigators are launching a second search of the wreckage of a freighter that sank Oct. 1 near the Bahamas, officials said Thursday.
- MADD: Car-locking systems stopped 1.77 million drunk drivers Updated: Feb-10-16 9:08 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Car-locking systems have stopped more than 1.77 million people from driving drunk since states first passed laws requiring offenders to install them in 1999, Mothers Against Drunk Driving said in a first-of-its-kind report on the devices nationwide.
- Inadequate oversight blamed in deadly Illinois highway crash Updated: Feb-10-16 11:37 am
CHICAGO - Failed safety oversight was partly to blame for a deadly crash near Chicago in which a truck driver for a company already flagged as high-risk fell asleep and plowed into emergency vehicles, a federal accident investigations board said. The panel urged the government to turn to the insurance industry for help.
- NTSB: New rules needed for air shipments of batteries Updated: Feb-09-16 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The government should issue more stringent rules for how rechargeable batteries are shipped on planes to prevent uncontrollable fires, the chairman of a federal accident investigations board said Tuesday.
- Amtrak engineer recalls opening throttle before fatal crash Updated: Feb-01-16 11:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The last thing Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian remembers before last May's fatal crash in Philadelphia is pushing the throttle forward to pick up speed and then braking when he felt the train going too fast into a sharp curve, according to a transcript of his interview with federal accident investigators.
- NTSB: Amtrak engineer in fatal crash 'extremely cooperative' Updated: Feb-01-16 1:44 pm
- Officials: Pilot killed in plane crash in southwestern Ohio Updated: Jan-27-16 4:15 am
XENIA, Ohio - Federal authorities say the pilot of a small plane died in a crash in southwestern Ohio.
- NTSB: Ice protection not on when plane crashed into house Updated: Jan-20-16 5:00 pm
BALTIMORE - The ice protection system was not activated on a business jet that crashed into a Maryland house, killing six people, even though the air temperature was near freezing, according to a federal safety investigation released Wednesday.
- Officials say ice led to Oklahoma medical helicopter crash Updated: Jan-19-16 3:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - Federal accident investigators have released a report saying that ice is to blame for a fatal medical helicopter crash in Oklahoma City three years ago.
- NTSB: Excessive speed likely caused fatal Delaware bus crash Updated: Jan-15-16 7:09 pm
Excessive speed and lack of traffic signs warning of an approaching curve were likely the causes of a 2014 tour bus crash in Delaware that killed three people and injured dozens, according to a federal report released Friday.