- AU and Somali troops retake Somali town from militants Updated: Feb-06-16 3:15 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A Somali military official says allied African Union and Somali troops have retaken the town Marka one day after Islamic extremist fighters took control of the center following the withdrawal of African Union forces.
- UN: Somali Cabinet has agreed on model for elections in 2016 Updated: Jan-28-16 11:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Somalia said the Cabinet agreed Thursday on a model for elections later this year, calling the long-awaited decision "an important milestone" for the impoverished Horn of Africa nation grappling with Islamic extremist insurgents.
- Kenya honors troops slain in Somalia with memorial service Updated: Jan-27-16 1:00 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday led an interfaith memorial service honoring Kenyan soldiers killed while on peacekeeping duty in Somalia.
- AP EXPLAINS: Islamic extremists step up attacks in Africa Updated: Jan-22-16 12:32 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - The number of deadly attacks by Islamic extremists is mounting across Africa, raising questions about the resurgence of armed groups once seen to be in decline. Here is a brief description of the attacks and an explanation of who was behind them and what is driving the surge.
- Maryland man pleads not guilty to terrorism-support charges Updated: Jan-13-16 3:18 pm
NEW YORK - A Maryland man arrested on charges he fought on behalf of an al-Qaida-affiliated terror group in Somalia pleaded not guilty Wednesday and his lawyer said he will fight the charges.
- Maryland man charged with supporting African terror group Updated: Jan-11-16 10:26 pm
NEW YORK - A Maryland man has been indicted on federal charges he provided material support to an al-Qaida offshoot that has claimed responsibility for a series of deadly attacks in East Africa.