- NHL teams must adapt to 'novelty' of 3-on-3 OT this season Updated: Oct-09-15 2:33 am
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Count Washington Capitals defenseman Matt Niskanen among those around the NHL taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to the league's new 3-on-3 overtime.
- A look at each potential World Series matchup Updated: Oct-09-15 2:31 am
With four teams remaining in each league, there are 16 possible matchups for the World Series. We could wait and see who makes it, but what fun is that?
- Niemi, Stars shut out Penguins 3-0 in season opener Updated: Oct-09-15 1:19 am
DALLAS - Antti Niemi couldn't remember whether he'd ever had two assists in a game before. Matthias Janmark didn't have anything to remember before he scored his first NHL goal.
- Smith, Arvidsson score as Predators beat Hurricanes 2-1 Updated: Oct-08-15 11:59 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Nashville Predators were happy with their first 20 minutes of the new season. Luckily, they have goalie Pekka Rinne to cover any slack when they ease up a bit too much.
- Garrison has 2 goals, Lightning beat Flyers 3-2 in OT Updated: Oct-08-15 11:53 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Jason Garrison ended a wild extra session that included a penalty shot with a nifty goal.
- Islanders keep Long Island feel in Brooklyn debut Updated: Oct-08-15 5:38 pm
NEW YORK - Step aside, Jay Z. Pack up the nets. It's time to roll out the blue-and-orange carpet in Brooklyn.
- Rangers hold on for 3-2 victory over Blackhawks Updated: Oct-08-15 12:01 am
- Hakstol confident in leap from college to Flyers coach Updated: Oct-07-15 2:51 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Dave Hakstol left the college game behind at North Dakota when he was hired by the Flyers. He never stopped recruiting.
- NHL opens season with handful of players facing off-ice woes Updated: Oct-07-15 2:23 pm
The NHL gave the NFL a run for the headlines for the wrong reasons in the offseason.
- New routine: Islanders adjusting to playing in Brooklyn Updated: Oct-07-15 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - John Tavares, Kyle Okposo and the New York Islanders have a new routine for home games: Get up in the morning, get ready and head to the train station to get on the Long Island Rail Road.
- Before McDavid, others wore "The Next One" label Updated: Oct-07-15 3:41 am
Wayne Gretzky was "The Great One" and Mario Lemieux was "The Magnificent One."
- New Jersey Devils to retire Martin Brodeur's No. 30 Updated: Oct-07-15 2:59 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - Shortly after Martin Brodeur was selected by the New Jersey Devils with the 20th pick in the 1990 NHL draft, the 18-year-old goaltender was confused.
- Washington Capitals C Nicklas Backstrom could miss 4-5 games Updated: Oct-06-15 5:00 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Washington Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom is expected to miss a handful of games at the start of the NHL season as he works his way back from hip surgery.
- Penguins forward Dupuis to miss at least a month Updated: Oct-06-15 12:59 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pascal Dupuis' latest comeback is on hold.
- New York Islanders Capsule Updated: Oct-05-15 7:50 pm
- NHL teams waiving players with big contracts Updated: Oct-05-15 3:13 pm
NHL teams are putting big-money players on waivers.
- Devils sign goaltender Ken Appleby to 3-year contract Updated: Oct-05-15 3:07 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The New Jersey Devils have signed goaltender Ken Appleby to a three-year, entry-level contract.
- Capitals preview capsule Updated: Oct-05-15 1:04 pm
- Ovechkin says it's time for Capitals to 'take a big step' Updated: Oct-05-15 12:57 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Alex Ovechkin has heard enough.
- Maturation of young players pivotal for Hurricanes' success Updated: Oct-05-15 9:43 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Carolina Hurricanes figure to spend this season celebrating their past and building for the future.
- Rangers put Diaz, Megna on waivers in getting roster to 23 Updated: Oct-02-15 6:31 pm
GREENBURGH, N.Y - The New York Rangers have waived defenseman Raphael Diaz and forward Jayson Megna in reducing their roster to 23 players.
- Season approaches, grind looming for NHL's goaltenders Updated: Oct-02-15 1:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The speculation started even before the Nashville Predators lost in the Western Conference quarterfinals last season, that goaltender Pekka Rinne was working a bit too much during the regular season and he was going to be worn out for the games that matter most.
- Wild claim left wing Chris Porter off waivers Updated: Oct-01-15 4:29 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Wild have claimed left wing Chris Porter off waivers from Philadelphia.
- Sens sign defenseman Fraser to a 1-year, 2-way contract Updated: Sep-28-15 6:25 pm
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators have signed defenseman Mark Fraser to a one-year, two-way contract.
- Dupuis, Maatta set to reclaim positions with Penguins Updated: Sep-26-15 3:25 pm
PITTSBURGH - Pascal Dupuis and Olli Maatta are set to reclaim their positions with the Pittsburgh Penguins after significant medical issues last season.