- State Police: Defendant kills himself with bailiff's gun Updated: Aug-26-15 5:47 pm
PINEVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police say a man being escorted through a courthouse by a bailiff after a court hearing has killed himself with the bailiff's weapon.
- Taxpayers facing $2.3 million tab in same-sex marriage case Updated: Aug-25-15 11:13 am
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Attorneys who successfully challenged Kentucky's ban on same-sex marriage have submitted a bill for more than $2 million in legal fees, court costs and related expenses. The state of Kentucky, as the losing party in the case, gets stuck with the tab under federal civil-rights law.
- State police release names of those involved in fatal crash Updated: Aug-25-15 7:32 am
OWENSBORO, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police have released the names of those involved in a car crash that killed three children when the sports utility vehicle they were riding in ran off a highway in Daviess County and into a field.
- Paul, Bevin campaigns converge in central Kentucky Updated: Aug-21-15 8:27 pm
SOMERSET, Kentucky - Rand Paul and Matt Bevin were both little known businessmen with big political ambitions who decided to take on U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell.
- As landlines disappear, so does funding for 911 services Updated: Aug-20-15 6:49 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - On a 911 map of the Lake Forest subdivision in Owensboro, the homes light up because nearly everyone in the older neighborhood has a landline.
- Court: Producers responsible for paying natural gas taxes Updated: Aug-20-15 2:48 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Natural gas producers in Kentucky shoulder all the responsibility for paying severance taxes on the fuel and cannot shift some of the tax burden to landowners, the state's Supreme Court said in a divided ruling Thursday.
- Attorney general: Panel must comply with Open Meetings Act Updated: Aug-19-15 4:06 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky attorney general's office has found that the state Board of Education violated the Open Meetings Law by not notifying the public of a committee meeting to choose a firm to help with the search for a new commissioner.
- Requirement changes to university scholarship sparks protest Updated: Aug-13-15 12:04 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Rising high school seniors who participated in the Governor's Scholars Program this summer are protesting after changes were made to a scholarship at the University of Kentucky that now require a higher ACT score and grade point average than they were initially told.
- Vermont official: Ky. prison monitored inmates before fight Updated: Aug-12-15 7:23 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont's top advocate for prison inmates said Wednesday the staff at a private Kentucky prison did all it could to monitor two inmates before they got into a fight that landed one in the hospital in the weeks before his death.
- Kentucky joins in challenging EPA power plant rules Updated: Aug-11-15 5:04 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky has joined several other states in a legal challenge against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for its power plant regulations.
- Kentucky State Police trooper laid to rest in Rineyville Updated: Aug-11-15 5:02 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Hundreds of friends, family and fellow officers have turned out for the funeral of a Kentucky State Police trooper, who was killed in a car wreck last week.
- Western Kentucky inmate found unresponsive dies Updated: Aug-11-15 3:38 pm
HARTFORD, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police are investigating the death of an inmate at a western Kentucky jail.
- Vermont inmate dies in Kentucky prison, and no one sure why Updated: Aug-08-15 12:55 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - James Nicholson lay in a Kentucky intensive care unit, days after he was beaten with a makeshift mace in a private prison in April. His skull cracked and his brain bruised, he told a nurse he believed the year was 1960 and Jimmy Carter was president.
- Report: College boards heavy with Democrats Updated: Aug-07-15 2:01 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - The boards at Kentucky's largest public universities have more Democrats than they are supposed to, according to a published report.
- Kentucky State Police trooper killed in crash Updated: Aug-07-15 1:08 pm
HODGENVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police say a trooper has been killed after crashing on a rain-soaked roadway in the central part of the state.
- Police find possible bomb in vehicle during traffic stop Updated: Aug-06-15 2:25 pm
EDDYVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police say a man has been arrested after troopers found a possible bomb inside a vehicle during a traffic stop.
- Kentucky editorial roundup Updated: Aug-05-15 1:55 pm
Recent editorials from Kentucky newspapers:
- Police find inmate, charge him with escape Updated: Aug-05-15 10:29 am
CLAY, Kentucky - Kentucky State Police say they have found a man who escaped from custody while on work-release in western Kentucky.
- GOP looks to sexual harassment settlement for advantage Updated: Aug-02-15 12:44 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - A $400,000 payment to settle the sexual harassment claims of three current or former state workers played an outsized role in Kentucky's premier political event on Saturday, evidence Republicans believe they can use it to their advantage as they seek to capture the governor's mansion and the state House of Representatives.
- AG candidates take hard-hitting campaign to Fancy Farm Updated: Aug-01-15 11:18 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Democrat Andy Beshear and Republican Whitney Westerfield traded pot shots Saturday at Kentucky's premier political showdown, where prosecutorial experience and claims of skipping work for pedicures spiced up their hard-hitting campaign for attorney general.
- Bevin saves jabs for Fancy Farm at annual political picnic Updated: Aug-01-15 6:34 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - Matt Bevin went to Fancy Farm and brought back a selfie with Mitch McConnell and a T-shirt from James Comer.