- Humanitarian summit aims high amid refugee rights concerns Updated: May-23-16 1:31 pm
ISTANBUL - An ambitious summit to revamp humanitarian aid and global responses to modern-day crises opened in Turkey on Monday with lofty goals overshadowed by concerns that key participants are violating refugee rights and humanitarian law.
- Kenya: Photos of police violence spark international outrage Updated: May-17-16 5:20 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Widely viewed pictures and video of a protester being kicked by Kenyan riot police as he lay on the ground have caused a stir in this East Africa country, prompting debate on police brutality and civil rights.
- Amnesty: Babies dying in Nigerian military detention Updated: May-10-16 7:44 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Babies and children are among scores of people dying in military detention at a notorious Nigerian barracks where soldiers illegally hold suspected Islamic extremists, Amnesty International reported Wednesday.
- Kenya closing camps with hundreds of thousands of refugees Updated: May-06-16 6:26 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The Kenyan government said Friday it will close two refugee camps, including one of the world's biggest, due to a lack of security and economic challenges as human Rights group condemned the plan.
- UN to meet on May 6 on protection of Palestinian civilians Updated: Apr-27-16 11:55 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council will hold an informal meeting on May 6 on the protection of Palestinian civilians, an issue the Palestinians have pressed for decades and say is more needed now than ever.
- 2 men including USAID employee killed in Bangladesh Updated: Apr-25-16 7:15 pm
NEW DELHI - Unidentified assailants fatally stabbed two men in Bangladesh's capital Monday night, including a gay rights activist who also worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development, police said, in the latest in a series of attacks targeting atheists, moderates and foreigners.