- 4 crew dead in Russian military helicopter crash Updated: Feb-08-16 1:54 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian Defense Ministry says one of its helicopters has crashed in northwestern Russia, killing its entire crew of four.
- Russian troops put on high alert as part of massive drills Updated: Feb-08-16 11:49 am
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin has scrambled thousands of troops and hundreds of warplanes across southwestern Russia for large-scale military drills intended to test the troops' readiness amid continuing tensions with the West.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- Analysis: Pause in Syrian talks shows peace remains elusive Updated: Feb-04-16 2:05 pm
BEIRUT - It was hardly unexpected that the Syrian peace talks in Geneva would break off in recrimination.
- Russia accuses Turkey of preparing to invade Syria Updated: Feb-04-16 12:58 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian military said Thursday that it has "reasonable grounds" to suspect that Turkey is making intensive preparations for a military invasion of neighboring Syria.
- Central Europe guardedly welcomes US military spending boost Updated: Feb-03-16 12:43 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Countries in Central and Eastern Europe are welcoming a U.S. plan to quadruple military spending in Europe in reaction to Russia's military resurgence, yet the tone from several governments appears guarded as it remains unclear how much of the spending will translate into a real and lasting presence of troops and weapons on NATO's nervous eastern flank.
- Turkey bans Russian observation flight near Syria border Updated: Feb-03-16 11:26 am
MOSCOW - The Russian military says Turkey has violated an international treaty by barring a planned Russian surveillance flight.
- Russian fighter jet crashes in Siberia, pilots survive Updated: Jan-25-16 9:59 am
MOSCOW - The Russian military says one of its fighter jets have crashed on a training mission in Siberia, and the two crew members have bailed out successfully.
- Russia displays naval might off Syria's Mediterranean coast Updated: Jan-21-16 5:05 am
TARTUS, Syria - A Russian navy missile cruiser is on duty off Syria's coast to help protect a Russian air base with an array of long-range missile systems.
- Russia shows military might in Syria ahead of peace talks Updated: Jan-20-16 4:16 pm
HEMEIMEEM AIR BASE, Syria - Helicopter gunships sweep low around Russia's air base on the Syrian coast and long-range air-defense missile systems tower at the base's edge as warplanes take off one after another. The sound is deafening.