- Kurdish fighters in Syria on the march against IS militants Updated: May-28-15 3:42 pm
BEIRUT - In contrast to the Iraqi army's failures, Kurdish fighters in Syria are on the march against the Islamic State group, capturing towns and villages in an oil-rich swath of the country's northeast under the cover of U.S.-led airstrikes.
- Analysis: Against IS, airstrikes may not suffice Updated: May-27-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - It's the modern era's military strategy of choice: overwhelming air power delivering precision-guided punishment backed by intelligence on the ground, with minimal exposure for soldiers of the striking side.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- Biden tries to smooth over anger sparked by Carter's comment Updated: May-26-15 3:15 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is reassuring Iraq's government of U.S. support in the fight against the Islamic State group, telephoning Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi with thanks for "the enormous sacrifice and bravery of Iraqi forces" one day after Defense Secretary Ash Carter questioned the Iraqi military commitment.
- Defense chief's criticism of Iraqis raises policy questions Updated: May-25-15 7:25 am
WASHINGTON - The Islamic State group's takeover of the Iraqi provincial capital Ramadi has prompted criticism from Defense Secretary Ash Carter and raised new questions about the Obama administration's strategy to defeat the extremist group.