- IOC cites challenges for Almaty and Beijing Olympic bids Updated: Jun-01-15 1:21 pm
LONDON - The IOC on Monday cited serious challenges facing the two bids for the 2022 Winter Olympics, including pointed concerns over Beijing's air pollution and lack of natural snow and Almaty's budget risks and limited experience in hosting major events.
- USOC chief named chair of IOC's Olympic Channel commission Updated: May-31-15 1:36 pm
LONDON - The head of the U.S. Olympic Committee was given a key international position Sunday, appointed as chairman of a new panel that will oversee the launch of the IOC's Olympic television channel.
- Vizer quits as SportAccord chief amid backlash to IOC attack Updated: May-31-15 11:57 am
LONDON - With no allies left to support him, Marius Vizer resigned as president of the umbrella body for international sports federations on Sunday and delivered a defiant rebuke to the critics who forced him out after his attacks on the IOC.
- Olympic powerbroker turns back on Vizer, backs Thomas Bach Updated: May-26-15 2:51 pm
LONDON - A senior Olympic powerbroker turned his back on Marius Vizer on Tuesday and threw his full support behind IOC President Thomas Bach in the latest backlash against the leader of umbrella body SportAccord.
- Only 1 winner, 1 loser in Vizer's Olympic fight with IOC Updated: May-26-15 1:38 pm
LONDON - If this were a boxing match, the referee would have stopped the bout by now.
- New members of FIFA's scandal-hit executive committee Updated: May-26-15 6:33 am
ZURICH - The FIFA executive committee might have the worst reputation of any international sports body. Still, many candidates want to sit at soccer's high table, known as the ExCo.
- Badminton federation suspends membership of SportAccord Updated: May-25-15 5:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Badminton World Federation has joined a long list of Olympic sports suspending its membership of SportAccord.
- Peru pulls out of hosting Marius Vizer's World Combat Games Updated: May-24-15 12:32 pm
LONDON - The Olympic backlash against Marius Vizer widened, as Peruvian organizers pulled out of hosting one of his showcase multi-sports events and basketball became the latest federation to suspend ties with his umbrella body.
- Rome mayor wants Olympic medal ceremonies at Colosseum Updated: May-22-15 10:35 am
ROME - Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino proposed Friday that medal ceremonies be held at the Colosseum if the Italian capital wins the bid to host the 2024 Olympics.
- Thomas Bach to Marius Vizer: I'll get back to you later Updated: May-20-15 1:29 pm
LONDON - IOC President Thomas Bach is keeping Marius Vizer waiting on his invitation for a clear-the-air meeting.
- Weightlifting latest sport to suspend ties with SportAccord Updated: May-19-15 8:00 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Weightlifting has become the 10th sport to break with SportAccord, the umbrella body for Olympic and non-Olympic federations.
- Longtime IOC member Peter Tallberg of Finland dies at 77 Updated: May-16-15 11:14 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Longtime IOC member Peter Tallberg of Finland has died after a battle against cancer, the International Olympic Committee said Saturday. He was 77.
- Council's Olympic panel to focus on IOC reforms Updated: May-16-15 10:01 am
BOSTON - With Boston in the hunt for the 2024 Olympics, a city council panel is looking into how reforms recently approved by the International Olympic Committee might impact the city's bid.
- Governor presses Boston Olympic bid organizers on planning Updated: May-14-15 4:09 pm
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker again appears to be showing impatience with the progress of Boston's Olympic bid organizers in completing a detailed plan for hosting the 2024 Summer Games.
- IOC strips US of Olympic relay medals in Gay doping case Updated: May-13-15 3:31 pm
LONDON - The entire U.S. men's sprint relay team was stripped of its silver medal from the 2012 London Olympics on Wednesday as a result of Tyson Gay's doping case.
- Vizer defiant on World Combat Games despite withdrawals Updated: May-13-15 11:35 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The World Combat Games will go ahead next year despite the withdrawal of several sports in protest over the chief organizer's attack on the International Olympic Committee.
- Tokyo opens bidding for sports to be added to 2020 Olympics Updated: May-11-15 7:35 am
TOKYO - Japanese Olympic organizers opened the application process Monday for sports hoping to be added to the 2020 Tokyo Games.
- IOC chief: Small nations like New Zealand could host games Updated: May-05-15 12:04 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach says there's no reason a small nation such as New Zealand shouldn't aspire to host the Olympics.
- IOC president Bach visits cyclone-hit facilities on Vanuatu Updated: May-04-15 9:05 pm