- Negating mayoral speculation, CONI chief focuses on 2024 bid Updated: Oct-09-15 10:02 am
ROME - Dismissing speculation that he could run for mayor, the head of Italy's Olympic committee pledged Friday to keep his current job and attempt to bring the 2024 Games to Rome.
- With Platini suspended, FIFA election field more uncertain Updated: Oct-08-15 7:43 pm
LONDON - From sure bet to suspended, Michel Platini's career in soccer politics could be over.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- Bach calls for 'external' candidate to take over FIFA Updated: Oct-08-15 11:24 am
LONDON - Declaring that "enough is enough," IOC President Thomas Bach called Thursday for an "external presidential candidate" to take over FIFA and restore credibility to world soccer's scandal-scarred governing body.
- In Hayatou, FIFA gets another controversial strongman Updated: Oct-08-15 9:36 am
With Sepp Blatter suspended, the top job at FIFA falls automatically to Issa Hayatou, the son of a sultan from northern Cameroon who has ruled African soccer for 27 years.
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs Updated: Oct-06-15 6:54 pm
ZURICH - After defying pleas from FIFA sponsors to quit immediately, President Sepp Blatter is continuing regular business at soccer's governing body, presiding over a dispute between football federations on Tuesday.
- Tokyo recommends 5 additional sports for 2020 Olympics Updated: Sep-28-15 10:06 am
TOKYO - Baseball and softball were joined by youth-oriented sports such as surfing and skateboarding as Japanese organizers on Monday recommended five additional sports with 18 events for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- USOC extends CEO's contract through 2021 with option to 2024 Updated: Sep-25-15 8:45 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - In the U.S. Olympic Committee's version of a perfect world, CEO Scott Blackmun will help the Americans bring the curtain down on the Los Angeles Olympics in 2024.
- Hungary says no plans for referendum on 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Sep-25-15 7:47 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary has no plans to hold a referendum on Budapest's bid for the 2024 Summer Games, the country's national Olympic committee said Friday.
- Human rights groups attack IOC on host city contract Updated: Sep-24-15 12:22 pm
LONDON - Human rights groups accused the IOC on Thursday of failing to include explicit requirements on human rights in the host city contract for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
- AP Interview: Vatican, Colosseum to feature in Rome 2024 bid Updated: Sep-24-15 8:35 am
ROME - The marathon route winding through St. Peter's Square and finishing under the Arch of Constantine in front of the Colosseum. A medals plaza set up inside the Baths of Caracalla. Beach volleyball played at the Circus Maximus.
- Pyeongchang begins construction of athletes village for 2018 Updated: Sep-22-15 6:19 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean Olympic organizers have held a groundbreaking ceremony to launch construction of the athletes village for the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang.
- Refugee crisis, money issues in background of 2024 bid race Updated: Sep-16-15 2:08 pm
LONDON - With the race for the 2024 Olympics now officially underway, the five bid cities face a two-year campaign to convince IOC members that they offer the best project.
- Race is on: 5 cities to compete for 2024 Summer Olympics Updated: Sep-16-15 7:17 am
LONDON - The race is on for the 2024 Olympics: A five-city contest pitting four European bids against a two-time host from the United States.
- 5 cities set to be in running for 2024 Olympics Updated: Sep-15-15 3:12 pm
LONDON - With Toronto deciding against a last-minute bid, five cities are set to be in contention for the 2024 Olympics when the race opens officially on Wednesday, pitting four European cities against a two-time host from the United States.
- Kosovo set to gain entry into European soccer competitions Updated: Sep-15-15 10:19 am
ST. JULIAN'S, Malta - Kosovo can take a step closer to joining UEFA this week, a move that could lead to a place in 2018 World Cup qualifying.
- Official: Toronto not bidding for 2024 Olympics Updated: Sep-15-15 12:04 am
TORONTO - Toronto will not be bidding to host the 2024 Summer Olympics.