- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic laboratory Updated: Jun-24-16 8:48 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Just weeks before the Olympic Games open in Rio de Janeiro, the city's accredited anti-doping laboratory has been stopped from conducting tests.
- Kuwait says it will file $1B lawsuit against Olympic body Updated: Jun-23-16 6:37 am
KUWAIT CITY - Kuwait said Thursday it will sue the International Olympic Committee in Switzerland for $1 billion, the latest twist in an ongoing struggle that's blocked athletes from competing under the Kuwaiti flag at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Many questions still open after Olympic doping summit Updated: Jun-22-16 5:37 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - An Olympic summit that many hoped would bring clarity on the ban on Russia's track and field athletes and other pressing doping issues raised more questions than answers.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Jun-22-16 3:38 pm
ROME - Rome's bid for the 2024 Olympics is in serious trouble with the city's new mayor maintaining her opposition to the candidacy.
- Some Russian Olympians could compete under their own flag Updated: Jun-21-16 3:11 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Some Russian track and field athletes could be competing under their own flag at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics after all.
- The Latest: Russian sports ministry supports zero tolerance Updated: Jun-21-16 1:50 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Latest on the special Olympic summit (all times local):
- Calgary explores hosting Winter Olympics in 2026 Updated: Jun-21-16 1:26 pm
CALGARY, Alberta - Calgary is looking at hosting another Winter Olympics.
- Senator presses agency for answers on Russian doping scandal Updated: Jun-20-16 5:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee is pressing the World Anti-Doping Agency to explain why it delayed an investigation into allegations of systematic cheating by the Russian Olympic team.
- Guide to world sports bodies judging Russia's doping case Updated: Jun-20-16 3:36 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Russia's ban from Olympic track and field for alleged doping is being investigated and judged by an alphabet soup of world sports leaders.
- IOC offers full support for IAAF decision to ban Russians Updated: Jun-18-16 11:52 am
LONDON - The IOC threw its support behind the decision to ban Russia's track and field team from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics and said Saturday it will take "further far-reaching measures" to crack down on doping ahead of the games.
- Russian track and field athletes banned from Rio Games Updated: Jun-17-16 4:42 pm
VIENNA - Russia's track and field athletes will be banned from competing for their country at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics after a landmark decision Friday that punished the sports powerhouse for a systematic doping system that operated "from the top down" and tainted the entire team.
- The Latest: Putin hopes for 'solution' for Russian athletes Updated: Jun-17-16 4:31 pm
VIENNA - The Latest on the IAAF's meeting on Russia (all times local):
- Brazil acting president, IOC head inspect Olympic Park Updated: Jun-14-16 5:50 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's interim president and the head of the International Olympic Committee reiterated Tuesday their confidence Rio de Janeiro will manage to host a successful games in fewer than two months' time, despite the litany of problems besetting the country.
- Jan Dijkema elected president of International Skating Union Updated: Jun-10-16 2:42 pm
DUBROVNIK, Croatia - Jan Dijkema of the Netherlands is the new president of the International Skating Union.
- German federation asks IOC to exclude Russia, Kenya from Rio Updated: Jun-10-16 12:28 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - The head of Germany's track and field federation urged the IOC on Friday to keep Russian and Kenyan athletes out of the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, even if they pass pre-games doping tests.
- The Latest: IOC confirms it has advanced money to Rio Updated: Jun-03-16 6:13 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Latest on IOC executive board meetings (all times local):
- UN asking expert panel to assess Zika risk at Rio Olympics Updated: Jun-03-16 1:31 pm
LONDON - The World Health Organization's chief says she will convene an expert committee to consider whether the Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics should proceed as planned, following concerns raised about the threat of the Zika virus.
- Olympic refugee team to be 'symbol of hope' in Rio Updated: Jun-03-16 11:07 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Ten refugee athletes from Africa and the Middle East were selected Friday to compete under the Olympic flag at the Rio de Janeiro Games in what the IOC said represents a "symbol of hope" for migrants and refugees around the world.
- Big leaguers may balk at Olympic baseball Updated: Jun-03-16 2:25 am
Baseball appears set to return to the Olympics for the 2020 Tokyo Games. Major leaguers may balk.
- US cyclist withdraws from Rio consideration citing Zika Updated: Jun-02-16 5:33 pm
American cyclist Tejay van Garderen understands the chances that he might contract the Zika virus at the Rio Olympics are minimal, and that precautions could be taken to further reduce the threat.
- Turkish boxer, Russian cyclist fail Olympic doping retests Updated: Jun-02-16 12:48 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A Turkish boxer and a Russian cyclist have been provisionally suspended after doping samples from the 2012 London Olympics came back positive in retesting.
- Bettman not bullish about NHL participation in 2018 Olympics Updated: May-30-16 7:45 pm
PITTSBURGH - The NHL remains open to continuing to send its players to the Olympics, just so long as it doesn't have foot the bill.
- Paris Olympic bid leader: Roof at Roland Garros not crucial Updated: May-30-16 10:59 am
PARIS - While essential for the French Open, a roof over center court at Roland Garros is "not crucial" for Paris' bid to host the 2024 Olympics, the city's bid leader said Monday as heavy rain washed out play at the clay-court Grand Slam for the first time in 16 years.
- IOC: 23 positives in retests of samples from London Olympics Updated: May-27-16 12:01 pm
LONDON - Nearly two dozen athletes tested positive in reanalysis of their doping samples from the 2012 London Olympics, adding to the more than 30 already caught in retesting from the 2008 Beijing Games.
- IOC expresses concern over investigation into Tokyo 2020 bid Updated: May-26-16 7:28 am
TOKYO - IOC vice president John Coates expressed concern Thursday over payments made to a Singapore firm which have entangled Tokyo's winning bid for the 2020 Olympics in a bribery investigation.