- Illinois' GOP governor won't endorse Trump Updated: May-05-16 10:28 pm
CHICAGO - A member of Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration says the Republican governor will not endorse Donald Trump as the GOP standard-bearer in the November election.
- Illinois Senate approves $454 million more for colleges Updated: May-05-16 6:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Senate agreed Thursday to spend an additional $454 million on struggling colleges and universities, another stopgap measure as lawmakers continue an epic standoff over a full budget.
- Illinois GOP lawmakers want auditor spending answers Updated: May-05-16 3:26 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A group of Republican lawmakers attempted to turn up the election-year heat Thursday on the state's chief fiscal monitor, demanding that Auditor General Frank Mautino answer questions about his campaign spending as a legislator.
- Correction: Dennis Hastert-Legislation story Updated: May-05-16 11:48 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - In a story May 4 about Illinois legislation that would eliminate the statute of limitations on child sex abuse crimes, The Associated Press reported erroneously that former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert paid $3.5 million to silence someone who accused him of sexual abuse. Hastert agreed to pay that amount, but he ultimately paid only $1.7 million and the victim is now suing him to collect the rest.
- Officer shoots suspect on Mississippi River bridge Updated: May-05-16 10:01 am
ST. LOUIS - Illinois State Police are investigating after a St. Louis-area police officer shot a female suspect on a Mississippi River bridge.
- Analysis adds fuel to fight over Illinois school funding Updated: May-04-16 7:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration on Wednesday released an analysis of a Democratic plan to change the way Illinois funds education, prompting more Republican criticism that it's a "major bailout" for Chicago Public Schools and fueling an increasingly contentious election-year fight.
- Illinois Democrats drop plan to tax wealthy at higher rates Updated: May-04-16 5:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Democrats abandoned a plan to increase taxes on millionaires if voters approved in November.
- Illinois lawmakers urge Boeing not to sell aircraft to Iran Updated: May-04-16 4:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Three Republican congressmen from Illinois are urging the chief executive officer of Chicago-based Boeing to avoid doing business with Iran and not sell aircraft to upgrade its fleet.
- Illinois senator wants to stop using 'alien' for immigrants Updated: May-04-16 1:18 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An Illinois lawmaker wants the state to stop referring to immigrants in the country illegally as aliens.
- Advocacy group says Illinois fantasy sports bill needs work Updated: May-04-16 6:34 am
CHICAGO - A law enforcement advocacy group in Chicago says safeguards in proposed Illinois legislation on fantasy sports betting aren't good enough and could open the door to organized crime.
- Troopers step up highway enforcement for prom, graduation Updated: Apr-30-16 9:53 am
ELGIN, Illinois - Troopers with the Illinois State Police in District 2 have a reminder for young drivers during prom and graduation season.
- Veteran of presidential museums name to head Lincoln library Updated: Apr-29-16 9:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, ILL. - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner has named the director of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum to direct the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
- Illinois weighs college aid for students in the US illegally Updated: Apr-29-16 3:34 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Laura Vivaldo considers herself fortunate among her Illinois college classmates who are in the U.S. illegally and struggle to pay tuition because they don't qualify for state or federal financial aid.
- Lawmaker calls for Illinois to revoke Hastert's pension Updated: Apr-29-16 9:29 am
CHICAGO - An Illinois state senator is urging the state to strip Dennis Hastert of the taxpayer-funded pension he receives from when he was state legislator.
- The Latest: With sentencing Hastert loses teacher pension Updated: Apr-27-16 8:42 pm
CHICAGO - The Latest on the sentencing of former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert (all times local):
- Gov. Rauner expresses optimism about Illinois budget talks Updated: Apr-27-16 4:43 pm
AUBURN, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner struck an optimistic tone that he can reach a budget agreement with Illinois lawmakers next month, telling an assembly of high school students Wednesday that he's "pretty excited" about the prospect of ending the historic stalemate.
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill from owning guns Updated: Apr-26-16 3:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' ability to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally ill or pose a danger would be strengthened under several proposals in the General Assembly, but the ideas have raised concerns among gun rights advocates.
- Illinois seeks to limit use of solitary confinement Updated: Apr-24-16 7:52 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Brian Nelson's years in solitary confinement left him terrified of other people, and he says he can still taste the concrete dust from his cell, even though he's been free since 2010.
- EXCHANGE: Battle underway against Rockford's education gap Updated: Apr-23-16 4:10 am
ROCKFORD, Illinois - A pilot program launched in October is showing signs of success as educators look to arm thousands of adults in Boone and Winnebago counties with a high school equivalency certificate and skills that will land them a sustainable job.
- The Latest: Illinois universities grateful; say more needed Updated: Apr-22-16 3:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on the Illinois Legislature's plan to fund higher education and other legislative issues (all times local):
- Senate OKs redistricting plan, nixes cutting lt. governor Updated: Apr-21-16 8:37 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The method for drawing political district boundaries took a prime seat during legislative work Thursday, with one proposal to make the process fairer clearing the Senate and another one advancing in the House.
- Illinois EPA: Can't pay for tank cleanup without budget Updated: Apr-21-16 7:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency told federal regulators Thursday it can't pay for the cleanup of leaking underground fuel storage tanks because of the budget deadlock.
- Tampon-tax repeal, birth control access bills get initial OK Updated: Apr-21-16 6:33 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers are advancing proposals that would make feminine hygiene products and contraception more affordable for women.
- Property tax-freeze champ Rauner says House plan not enough Updated: Apr-21-16 5:38 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner says a House-approved property-tax freeze doesn't go far enough.
- Illinois legislation would encourage reporting sex assault Updated: Apr-21-16 6:36 am
CHICAGO - A group of Illinois prosecutors and advocates say new legislation would encourage more victims of sexual assault to report the crime to authorities.