CLAYMONT, Del. — Investigators say a blaze at a northern Delaware apartment complex that forced 18 people from their homes was caused by use of an outdoor grill.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Sunday at the Stoneybrook Apartment complex in Claymont, where firefighters battled flames on a two-story row of townhouses. Damage was estimated at about $250,000.

Officials say the fire broke out when charcoal briquettes used in a grill ignited vinyl siding on the rear of a townhouse.

The American Red Cross and apartment management were providing assistance to eight adults and 10 children who were displaced.

There were no reported injuries.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.