BERWYN, Ill. — A suburban Chicago medical clinic has reopened after 15 people were hospitalized when a chemical substance spilled in an exam room.

JenCare Senior Medical Center officials say the Berwyn clinic reopened Wednesday. Firefighters were called to the clinic Tuesday after phenol spilled in an exam room. The chemical substance is used in certain medical treatments and to kill bacteria.

Fire officials say there were 35 people in the building at the time of the spill and some experienced difficulty breathing, coughing and nausea. After first responders arrived, 15 were taken to area hospitals and the building was evacuated and closed. JenCare regional market president Frank Mancuso said early Wednesday that those who were taken to hospitals have been discharged.

Mancuso said the company is investigating what happened.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.