GREENVILLE, S.C. — The Latest on school walkouts protesting gun violence in South Carolina(all times local):

3:15 p.m.

South Carolina’s largest school district says it’s going to reprimand several hundred students who participated in a national walkout to protest gun violence at schools.

Greenville County Schools spokeswoman Beth Brotherton said Wednesday that students who participated in the walkout will be cited for cutting class. She said that school records show that about 530 students participated at about a dozen high schools.

The high schools with the most participation were J.L. Mann Academy in Greenville, with about 200 students walking out; and Maudlin High School with about 180.

Overall, the district has about 77,000 students. District officials had said before the walkout that they were discouraging students from participating and didn’t plan to allow media to cover the activity.

Around the country, school administrators have taken varying stances toward the walkouts that were launched in the aftermath of a deadly rampage at a Florida high school that killed 17 people.

8 a.m.

Some South Carolina school districts are banning media coverage of student protests of gun violence.

Greenville school superintendent Burke Royster told media outlets Tuesday he would not change the decision to keep reporters away from activities at 15 high schools and 19 middle schools.

The state’s largest school district has discouraged students from participating in the National School Walkout on Wednesday in reaction to last month’s Florida shooting that killed 17 people.

The district has said it won’t allow reporters because of safety concerns. District spokeswoman Beth Brotherton said the district is concerned some students shown might not have signed a media release. She says school officials worry some students might be endangered by having their image shown publicly.

Some neighboring districts are banning media coverage while others welcome reporters.