GRAND FORKS, N.D. — Investigators have determined that an unattended candle caused a small fire in a University of North Dakota dormitory early this month.

The Grand Forks Fire Department says the candle ignited a nearby towel and cardboard, activating the fire alarm and sprinkler system in Walsh Hall. Sprinklers extinguished the fire.

No injuries were reported in the March 2 fire. Damage to the building is estimated at $35,000 and to personal items at $500.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.