REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. — Charges have been dismissed against a Delaware man accused of raping a former housemate and threatening her with a BB gun to dissuade her from going to police.

The News Journal reports the state dropped the charges against 21-year-old Joshua Abele on March 2, after a jury failed to reach a verdict last month.

Delaware Department of Justice spokesman Carl Kanefsky says the state opted not to retry the case after “reviewing all elements,” but offered no further details.

Abele’s attorney Edward Gill said he received an email from a juror — who also contacted the newspaper — criticizing the prosecution of Abele. Gill had argued the encounter was consensual.

Gill says they’re working to expunge Abele’s record, and it’s unclear if Abele will press charges of his own.

Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.,

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.