GULFPORT, Miss. — Officials say a 50-year-old Mississippi woman has died from smoke inhalation after trying to protect herself from a fire that started with food left cooking on a stove.

Chief Deputy Coroner Brian Switzer tells news outlets that firefighters found Sandra Beverly unresponsive in her back bedroom Monday after responding to a neighbor’s report of a fire.

Beverly was taken to a hospital in Gulfport and pronounced dead. Her husband was not home when the fire started.

Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt says it appears that the woman left something on cooking and fell asleep.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.