NEW YORK — Authorities say they’ve found a suspect in a 1990 killing after taking a fresh look at decades-old New York City homicide cases.

Pedro Jimenez pleaded not guilty Wednesday to murder in the shooting of neighbor Mario de la Cruz. Jimenez’s lawyer hasn’t immediately returned a call.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office says Jimenez shot the 19-year-old de la Cruz as they argued on an Upper Manhattan street on July 11, 1990. They lived in the same apartment building.

The DA’s office says the 46-year-old Jimenez used false names and moved frequently over the years, but a recent reinvestigation of new and old leads located him in Liberty, a Catskills town of 800 people.

Prosecutors began reviewing all open Manhattan homicide cases in 2015. Five indictments have resulted so far.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.