NASHUA, N.H. — The former, longtime home of the YMCA in Nashua, New Hampshire has been named to the state Register of Historic Places.
The classic revival landmark at the corner of Temple and Spring streets was completed in 1913. The Telegraph of Nashua reports that accounts from the time say during construction, then-President William Howard Taft was on a visit to Nashua and took part in a cornerstone-laying ceremony.
The Y was converted to offices and some retail outlets in the 1960s. It eventually became a rooming house.
Being selected for the register comes with a number of benefits, such as possible relief from certain building codes and regulations and pre-qualification for grant programs.
Information from: The Telegraph, http://www.nashuatelegraph.com