MARTINEZ, Calif. — Authorities say a firefighter was injured when flames swept through five units at an apartment building in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Contra Costa County fire officials say the blaze early Sunday in Martinez was started when a resident left a hot stove unattended.

The San Francisco Chronicle says one firefighter was hospitalized with unknown injuries. Nobody else was hurt.

Residents have been displaced from the five damaged apartments.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.