HARRISBURG, Pa. — The Latest on the federal government withdrawing an appeal of a lawsuit brought by the parents of a Pennsylvania boy left disabled from brain injuries caused by the use of forceps during his birth (all times local):

6:50 p.m.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office says it’s withdrawing an appeal, and will pay $42 million to the parents of a young Pennsylvania boy left disabled from brain injuries caused by the use of forceps during his birth.

U.S. Attorney David J. Freed says in a statement Thursday it was determined the appeal shouldn’t proceed. He says his office wishes “nothing but the best for the minor child and his parents.”

The verdict last year by a federal judge in Harrisburg stemmed from a trial on claims by Christiana Late and Nathan Armolt.

The couple sued the federal government for errors allegedly made by an obstetrician at Keystone Women’s Health Center, a federally supported facility, during their son’s February 2012 birth.

The boy understands language but can’t speak, read or write and eventually will have to use a motorized wheelchair.


The federal government has withdrawn its appeal and agreed to pay $42 million to the parents of a young Pennsylvania boy left disabled from brain injuries caused by the use of forceps during his birth.

The parents’ lawyers announced the decision Thursday.

The verdict last year by a federal judge in Harrisburg stemmed from a trial on claims by Christiana Late and Nathan Armolt.

The Chambersburg couple’s son understands language but can’t speak, read or write and will eventually have to use a motorized wheelchair.

The couple sued the federal government for errors allegedly made by an obstetrician at Keystone Women’s Health Center, a federally supported facility, during the boy’s February 2012 birth.

Messages seeking comment from the U.S. Attorney’s Office weren’t immediately returned Thursday.