CLEVELAND — The Ohio Supreme Court is refusing to hear Cleveland’s appeal of a lower court ruling rejecting the city’s efforts at creating a gun offender registry.
Cleveland.com reports the court’s refusal on Wednesday to hear the appeal means most of the measures passed by the City Council in 2015 to address gun violence remain invalid. The registry would have required residents charged with gun offenses to register within five days of being convicted or released from prison.
The 8th District Court of Appeals in Cleveland ruled last year that some of the ordinances conflicted with state laws.
Mayor Frank Jackson says he’s disappointed by the Supreme Court’s decision. Jackson says the lower court ruling weakens cities’ home rule powers and efforts to protect citizens.
Information from: cleveland.com, http://www.cleveland.com