DIXFIELD, Maine — Police in Maine say a man seriously burned during a kitchen fire has died from his injuries.

Police say 78-year-old Richard Roberts, of Dixfield, died late Monday at Maine Medical Center in Portland. The fire happened on Jan. 2 when Roberts’ clothes caught fire while he was using a propane kitchen stove.

Police said last week that Roberts had burns over 45 percent of his body. The home was not significantly damaged by the fire. Roberts was taken first to a hospital in Rumford and then flown by helicopter to Portland.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.