PERTH AMBOY, N.J. — Authorities say a chimney issue caused a carbon monoxide buildup in a New Jersey apartment building that led to the death of a 13-year-old girl and sickened dozens of other residents.
Perth Amboy officials say the problems reported Thursday in a 12-unit building were due to a collapsed clay liner that obstructed the gas exhaust.
The owner of the building has said the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors were functional in December. But county and local officials say the detectors weren’t working “at the time of the incident.”
The name of the teen who died hasn’t been released. A 14-year-old girl, a man in his 40s and a 21-year-old woman, all related to the teen, remain hospitalized in critical condition.
Roughly 35 other residents were treated for carbon monoxide.