LAKE CHARLES, La. — Investigators say combustible items placed too close to a wood stove ignited, causing a fire that resulted in the death of a Lake Charles woman and injuries to her daughter and grandson.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says investigators responded shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters found the body of 63-year-old Barbara Thomson in a bedroom. Thomson was visiting her daughter, Jennifer Melancon, who was transported to an area hospital for treatment of moderate-to-severe burns suffered while removing her 6- and 4-year-old sons from the home.

The older child was treated for minor burns.

Investigators say Melancon had filled the stove with wood before retiring Friday night. It is believed that extra wood pieces were placed too close to the stove and ignited.

The home had no working smoke alarms.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.