CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. — A town official says a short in a bathroom fan apparently caused the minor fire this week at a New York property owned by Bill and Hillary Clinton.

New Castle Town Supervisor Robert Greenstein said Friday that the fire Wednesday in Chappaqua (CHAP’-uh-kwah) burned a hole in a bathroom ceiling.

The building is near the Clintons’ house but is not attached to it. They were not on the property at the time.

Greenstein says the Chappaqua Fire Department’s “incredible volunteers” responded promptly.

The Secret Service says the firefighters were summoned by one of its employees.

It says fire extinguishers were used and then firefighters inspected the area to make sure the fire had been completely extinguished.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.