KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The electrocution of a worker on a Tennessee highway has led the state to fine his employer more than $16,000.

Records obtained by WBIR-TV show that the state Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigated the September death of 30-year-old Tyler Lowe. The administration fined an electric company more than $16,000, and cited it for several serious workplace safety violations.

Stansell Electric was hired to remove several aluminum light poles along a road. Lowe and co-workers were removing one when it touched a live power line. Lowe collapsed at the scene, and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Investigators said the minimum approach distance from the line was not calculated when the pole was removed.

David Stansell with Stansell Electric said in an email Wednesday the company had no comment.


Information from: WBIR-TV, http://www.wbir.com/