PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Advocates say a new cap on the number of registered sex offenders allowed at homeless shelters won’t be enforced as a legal challenge begins.
Lawyers representing the Rhode Island Homeless Advocacy Project and several registered sex offenders filed a lawsuit last week to block the law, which took effect Monday.
The ACLU’s cooperating attorney says the parties met Wednesday in court and agreed that while they’re developing the legal issues, no one would be turned away.
The law puts a 10-percent limit on the number of shelter beds that can be given to registered sex offenders.
The complaint says the law is unconstitutional and violates the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The law was pushed by Cranston lawmakers upset with the number of sex offenders staying at the Harrington Hall shelter.