MITCHELL, S.D. — A broken sprinkler system pipe caused minor flooding at the Mitchell High School Performing Arts Center on New Year’s Day.

Fire Department Battalion Chief Ben Vanden Hoek told The Daily Republic that everyone inside left the building, and the sprinkler system was shut off. There was no fire — Vanden Hoek says a system malfunction likely caused the pipe to break.

Mitchell Technology and School Security Director Dan Muck said damage was concentrated to only a small part of the building, and he doesn’t expect a lengthy cleanup process.


Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.