ST. LOUIS — A space heater is blamed in a fire that damaged a downtown St. Louis motel.

KMOV-TV reports that a woman and her three children were evaluated but determined to be OK after the fire broke out Tuesday morning at the America’s Best Value Inn near Lumiere Place Casino. The fire forced those staying at the motel to evacuate on a morning with below-zero wind chill.

The St. Louis Fire Department says a space heater caught fire in the room next to where the woman and children were staying. The room where the fire began was unoccupied.


Information from: KMOV-TV, http://www.kmov.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.