REDMOND, Wash. — Authorities say 10 people were taken to Washington hospitals after being exposed to carbon monoxide.

KOMO-TV reports the Redmond Police Department says a vehicle accidentally left running early Sunday morning in a garage of an attached Redmond townhome is likely the cause.

Police say the 10 victims were in “various stages of consciousness” and were taken to several hospitals, including Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

At least six victims were in one townhome.

Authorities say the 911 call and a quick emergency response prevented a tragedy.

Information from: KOMO-TV,

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.