PHOENIX — Phoenix police say a woman who was part of a local charity organization that had arranged to install a new stove in a downtown home was the victim killed in an explosion.
Sgt. Jonathan Howard said Friday that 73-year-old Anita Johnson died when two installers were removing a propane tank from the home and there was an explosion. The two workers were seriously injured but are expected to survive.
Thursday’s explosion leveled the home and started a gas-fueled fire that damaged nearby residences in the neighborhood just west of downtown.
A woman and three children who lived in the home were unhurt. The men working for Spencer’s TV & Appliance weren’t identified, but they were 57 and 23 years old.
The cause of the explosion hasn’t been determined.