ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Fire department officials say an Albuquerque holiday parade earlier this month took a frightening turn when a girl choked on a piece of candy, prompting passing firefighters to action.
The Albuquerque Journal reports firefighter Chris Adair was riding on top of a firetruck during the Twinkle Light Parade when he noticed a mother and daughter in distress.
Firefighter Christopher Epley stopped the truck. He and Adair rushed to the side of the parade route to find the girl choking.
Adair says his instinct took over. The firefighters performed the Heimlich maneuver, dislodging the candy from the girl’s throat.
Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller honored Adair and Epley for their lifesaving actions by presenting them with hero coins on Tuesday.
Information from: Albuquerque Journal, http://www.abqjournal.com