LAWRENCE, Mass. — A retired Massachusetts fire captain says his son might have died after collapsing at dinner if not for the efforts of four other firefighters who happened to be nearby.
The Eagle-Tribune reports that 53-year-old Bryan Boutin began choking while at dinner last week with his father, retired Lawrence Fire Department Capt. Leo Boutin Jr. The elder Boutin gave him the Heimlich maneuver, but the food remained stuck, and the younger Boutin collapsed and lost consciousness.
Four other firefighters jumped up to help, and one was able to reach down the younger Boutin’s throat and manually remove the food lodged there. Bryan Boutin was then taken to a hospital for treatment.
Leo Boutin says he will recommend the four men for the department’s firefighter of the year award.
Information from: The Eagle-Tribune, http://www.eagletribune.com