BRAINTREE, Mass. — Part of a Massachusetts shopping mall had to be evacuated because of a cleaning fluid spill in a Chipotle restaurant.

Police in Braintree say a lower-level wing of the South Shore Plaza and the area around the mall were evacuated late Friday afternoon because of fumes from the spill. The effected areas have since reopened.

A Chipotle spokesman says there was a spill of a highly concentrated cleaning solution and the restaurant would be closed for a short time during the cleanup. A worker at the restaurant was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

The spokesman apologized for any inconvenience.

Emergency vehicles surrounding the building and hazardous materials teams responded.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.