WATERVILLE, Maine — Officials in Maine say a woman’s oxygen mask caught fire while she was attempting to light a cigarette.

WLBZ-TV reports Waterville Fire and Rescue responded to the incident on Thanksgiving at about 2 p.m. The fire department says a man who was also in the home burned his hand while trying to put the fire out.

Officials say the man refused treatment and the woman was taken to an area hospital.

Fire department officials say they aren’t aware of the status of the woman and declined to identify her.

Officials say people shouldn’t smoke while using oxygen tanks, because it increases the risk of fire.


Information from: WLBZ-TV, http://www.wlbz2.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.