BEND, Ore. — The Redmond City Council has approved the sale of a historic railway depot.
The Bulletin newspaper reports a developer interested in leasing office space inside agreed to pay $250,000. Additional improvements are estimated to cost $150,000.
Under the agreement, the building’s exterior cannot be altered in any way that would hinder the historical integrity.
The depot was built in 1911, and served rail passengers until 1971. It’s had a variety of tenants since then.
The city bought the 2,278-square-foot building for $1 in 2004. It otherwise might have been demolished during the reroute of U.S. Highway 97. It was instead moved and rebuilt at another location.
The building has been vacant for five years.
Information from: The Bulletin, http://www.bendbulletin.com