Want to share your time and talents this holiday season and be a volunteer in 2018? If you and your family want to get involved with a local helping organization, here’s a guide to the needs of the community:

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana

Need: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana is looking volunteers to serve as positive role models to kids in Johnson County. Volunteers should commit to spending four to six hours a month with a child between the ages of 8 and 14, for one year. Volunteers must be at least 19 years old.

Story continues below gallery

Click here to purchase photos from this gallery

How to get involved: Visit bebigforkids.org or contact Rick Belbutoski, manager of volunteer outreach and management at rbelbutoski@bbbsci.org or 317-472-3720.

Boys & Girls Club of Franklin

Need: The Boys and Girls Club of Franklin needs volunteers in lots of areas. The club closes for Franklin schools’ winter break. The most need is on Dec. 14 and 15 when Franklin College employees won’t be available at the club.

How to get involved: Call 317-739-3365.

Interchurch Food Pantry

Need: The pantry, which serves all of Johnson County, takes all volunteers. The pantry is in most need of drivers. Driving volunteers should have a valid driver’s license. A commercial drivers license is not necessary, but having some experience with driving larger vehicles, such as a bus, recreational vehicle or farm equipment, is helpful. Forklift drivers are also needed.

How to get involved: Call 317-736-5090 or email pantryjcmanager@gmail.com or stop by 211 Commerce Drive, Franklin, between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Franklin Active Adult Center

Need: The center needs volunteers to help run the Bingo games from 1 to 2:30 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesday.

How to get involved: 317-736-3696

Christmas Angels

Need: Christmas Angels, a program of United Way of Johnson County, is in need of individuals and organizations who would like to sponsor families who cannot provide Christmas gifts for their children. Christmas Angels provides gifts for Johnson County children, newborn to 17 years old, who would otherwise not have Christmas gifts.

How to get involved: Call the United Way of Johnson County office at 317-736-7840.

Girls Inc. of Franklin

Need: Volunteers are needed to do light housekeeping and maintenance. Volunteers can also help the clients with the Santa Shop and do crafts with the girls.

How to get involved: Call 317-736-5344.

Greenwood Meals on Wheels

Need: The organization is in need of help making deliveries of lunch to senior citizens and people who are home-bound. Food must be picked up between 10:45 and 11 a.m. Monday through Friday. The organization serves the Center Grove area and Greenwood. A valid driver’s license is needed.

How to get involved: Call 317-882-2424.

Johnson County Senior Services

Need: They need volunteers to help stock the food pantry, deliver food to homes, organizing and delivering senior Christmas gifts and picking up donations over the holidays. Volunteers are also needed to help answer the phones and do clerical work and organize the building.

How to get involved: Email kimberlysmith@jcseniorservices.org or call or text 317-560-1707.


Need: Volunteers are needed to help serve the community meal Tuesdays and Thursdays. Volunteers are also needed in the office during the day, such as helping in the food pantry and restocking and organizing inventory.

How to get involved: Applications are available at kic-it.org, clicking on “get involved” and then “become a volunteer.”

Lord’s Cupboard

Need: Volunteers are needed to dust, clean and stock the cupboard. Other jobs are also available.

How to get involved: Go to the cupboard at 606 Banta St., Franklin and pick up an application and then get a background check.

Pack Away Hunger

Need: The Indianapolis organization is looking for volunteers to pack meals of rice, soy, vegetables and vitamins and minerals. Packed meals will be distributed to local food pantries. A Pack Away Hunger event is planned for Friday.

How to get involved: Volunteers should register at packawayhunger.org.

The Social of Greenwood

Need: Volunteers are needed for the Rock Steady Boxing Program. The program is a therapeutic program that helps people with Parkinson’s. Volunteers are also needed to help with fundraisers. Other volunteer needs include a receptionist, graphic design assistance and help with lunch at the cafe. The food pantry is also in need of canned food items.

How to get involved: Canned food items can be dropped off at 550 Polk St., Greenwood. A volunteer application can be filled out online at thesocialofgreenwood.org/volunteer

The Salvation Army

Need: Volunteers are needed to ring bells, especially in the Franklin area. Shifts to ring the bell are up to the volunteer and are anywhere from two to four hours. All-day shifts are also accepted. Groups can sign up together.

How to get involved: Go to the location at 325 Market Plaza, Greenwood and tell them of your interest to be a bell ringer. You can also sign up online at registertoring.com

Author photo
Magen Kritsch is an editorial assistant at the Daily Journal. She can be reached at mkritsch@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2770.