MIAMI — A deep-fried turkey led to a chaotic Thanksgiving morning for one Florida apartment building, and the incident sent four people to the hospital.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Spokeswoman Erika Benitez says one of the families in the building started deep-frying a turkey on Wednesday night inside the South Florida apartment and woke up feeling ill on Thursday. Fire rescue workers evacuated the building after they detected high levels of carbon monoxide.

The Miami Herald reports four people were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning and three others were treated at the apartment. Rescue workers gave the all clear by 10 a.m. Thursday.


Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.