BURLINGTON, Vt. — A high school student charged with sending death threats to fellow students, teachers and staff was kicked out of a required mental health program, federal prosecutors said in a court filing Wednesday.
A federal court hearing is scheduled for Friday to determine if 19-year-old Josiah Leach should be put in jail. He pleaded guilty last month to transmitting threats as part of a plea deal and was released on conditions pending his sentencing in February.
Prosecutors said Leach has violated the conditions of the plea deal, but didn’t specify what those conditions were, and asked a judge to determine whether he should be jailed, the Burlington Free Press reported.
Leach was kicked out of the program for repeatedly disrupting the center’s operation, the prosecutors said in its motion.
“Having now been kicked out of the Court-mandated treatment program, Leach has wasted that chance,” the prosecutors wrote. “It is also clear he is unlikely to abide by conditions of release.”
Leach originally pleaded not guilty to emailing a “murder list” in April targeting 16 students and staff at South Burlington High School. The list led to three lockdowns and the cancellation of classes.
Elizabeth Quinn, Leach’s attorney, has not responded to the motion. She did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.
Information from: The Burlington Free Press, http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com