TAMPA, Fla. — Authorities say a Florida man has died in a house fire believed to be caused by a space heater.

Tampa Fire Rescue said in a news release Monday that the 54-year-old man died at a hospital after he was pulled out of the burning house by firefighters.

Investigators say the fire started in the living room when the space heater ignited common combustibles close by. They also say the home had no working smoke detectors.

The man’s name has not been released.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.